Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default Drivers With Radar Detectors Tend To Speed

Denver News 7

Study Confirms Drivers With Radar Detectors Tend To Speed
    In 18 States, It's Illegal For Big Rig Drivers To Use Radar Detectors
    POSTED: 11:55 am MST March 17, 2005
    UPDATED: 4:03 pm MST March 17, 2005

DENVER -- Some states are stepping up enforcement against drivers of big rigs who use radar detectors. It's illegal for 18-wheelers to use the devices.
    At Interstate 70 and E-470, a special test was conducted Wednesday and Thursday to find out if radar detectors really encourage speeding.

On Thursday, researchers focused on passenger vehicles and on Wednesday, researchers focused on semitrailers.

"We're comparing the speeds of 18-wheelers with and without radar detectors to see if radar detectors encourage speeding," said Carl Fors, with Speed Measurement Lab, Inc.

And the answer is yes.

Fors said semitrailers running with radar detectors on I-70 were driving five to six miles an hour faster than those without radar detectors. And that typically leads to other offenses, he said.

"Big fines, and what we've found in several other states is that if a trucker is using a radar detector illegally, he's probably doing something else he shouldn't be doing," said Fors.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/traf...90/detail.html
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Radar Fanatic

How on earth can they link radar detector use with violations other than speeding? I don't see the logic. If there's simply a statistical correlation, "And that typically leads to other offenses" is entirely the wrong language to use. That implies that the detector is somehow causing the driver to do things like change lanes without signaling. I would believe that in some cases the kind of driver who would buy a radar detector might be the same kind who would roll through stop signs. But the key here is that outlawing detectors WOULD NOT under any circumstances have an effect on those other violations.

Manufacturer

As usual these "officials" are a 180 degrees out.

Its very simple: drivers who tend to speed use radar detectors and not the other way around.

Let's not "wag the dog."

The Veil Guy 8)

BTW, have you read the ultimate real-world radar detector comparision?
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Old Timer

people with radar detectors tend to speed? NO....

Speed Demon

Does the alcohol make the alcoholic or is the alcoholic born that way? I think people that speed are just born that way, I know I was.

Good Citizen

"Gee, yeah!"????? LMAO

Radar Fanatic

Default ... rd's

the only reason people speed is the fact that the speed limits are too slow!
    and speed traps are their to make money!

fair enough but here in the uk.... they are trying to tell people to slow down.... speed kills etc etc....... and they try and call their speed camera vans to ''safety'' vans!

and they use laser.... if they used gatso (photo radar) at least you can spot the van and your detector can detect them!!

with laser they get you up to a mile away.....

Newcomer

Logical fallacies, gotta love 'em. As they say, "correlation does not prove causation." A true statistic: body weight is very highly correlated with intelligence. Think about it for a second, and you'll realize it's true. An infant doesn't weigh much at all, and has a low intelligence (being unable to speak, write, etc.). As one grows older, they both gain weight and learn more.

As has been pointed out already, I think it's more likely that fast drivers are more likely to own radar detectors than it is that radar detectors encourage speeding.

A more accurate test would be to take a large random sampling of drivers from all ages, ethnicities, sexes, etc. Record their driving habits under normal conditions. Then give most a radar detector, and record all of their driving habits again (the group that continues driving without the detector serves as a control group). To draw solid conclusions, the test would have to be prolonged, and the weather and other such conditions would have to be held constant during both trials. Moreover, the people being tested shouldn't be informed that their driving habits are being recorded, as that could sway the results one way or the other. The test would have to be run by unbiased researchers.

Obviously, this sort of study would be impossible to perform for a variety of reasons. So instead they make up a quick and dirty "study" which will give them the results they're looking for.

Yoda of Radar

Well, there is this study - detector drivers tend to speed.

OK. But do detectors have a relation with safety? Or more to the point - does speed influence accidents?

Well, how about this report?

Also, note that when Montana scrapped it's 65mi/h limit in favour of a "reasonable and prudent" speed limit in 1995 - accidents went down. And when a 75mi/h limit was reinstated - accidents went up. Now mind you, in the dark NMSL days, Montana's speed limit policy was perhaps the best in the world, going fast but not dangerous was a $5 ticket, and no points!

Good Citizen

Just like any test we can make things come out the way we want them to and if they set out to prove that speeding is linked with radar detectors thats exactly what they will find or they will twist things until it does. Just my thoughts.

fireant