Power User

Default Indiana Supreme Court scolds traffic judge

IndyStar.com | Communities | The Indianapolis Star

A tough stand by the Marion County traffic judge whose stiff fines and sometimes gruff manner have made him a lightning rod for criticism drew a scolding this week from the Indiana Supreme Court.
    Before convicting the woman at the February 2009 hearing, Young declared: "She's going to jail for a year."

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Indiana Supreme Court scolds traffic judge

... one-year jail sentence from Judge Bill Young last year after he convicted her of driving with a suspended license, a misdemeanor. ...
    I don't see anything wrong with that... if you don't have a license, and a given penalty is in the books... what is wrong with the maximum sentence?

No license = No driving. I have no sympathy for that.

In the past couple weeks we have had two unlicensed operators cause 3 different accidents in my area.

Maybe it is just me... I don't want to be driving with someone who doesn't have their license, our licensed drivers are scary enough as is...

Power User

I have no problem with her going to jail, my problem is the judge who wasn't being impartial until the end.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I have no problem with her going to jail, my problem is the judge who wasn't being impartial until the end.

Yeah, in the CJ field you learn no judge (or person) is 100% impartial... ever, that is just human nature. The degree can vary, but not the fact. It all depends on who expresses it or not.

Would it be any better had he not said the comment, just thought it the entire time.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore View Post

Yeah, in the CJ field you learn no judge (or person) is 100% impartial... ever, that is just human nature. The degree can vary, but not the fact. It all depends on who expresses it or not.

Would it be any better had he not said the comment, just thought it the entire time.
    I think so, at least to save face.

Yoda of Radar

I think so, at least to save face.

^^^ Yeah I guess he should save-face...or at least have been a little more outwardly impartial...

On the same token though... his outward spoken honesty is what got this case to this point, so without it... she might have been SOL. Almost better to have a judge who tells you he is not fully impartial outwardly than a none-impartial judge who keeps to himself.

... one-year jail sentence from Judge Bill Young last year after he convicted her of driving with a suspended license, a misdemeanor. ...
    I don't see anything wrong with that... if you don't have a license, and a given penalty is in the books... what is wrong with the maximum sentence?

No license = No driving. I have no sympathy for that.

In the past couple weeks we have had two unlicensed operators cause 3 different accidents in my area.

Maybe it is just me... I don't want to be driving with someone who doesn't have their license, our licensed drivers are scary enough as is...
    so you have no problem with VA sending people to Jail for speeding then?

its not hard to get your LIC suspended in any state for simple speeding. as little as 10 over could get your Lic suspended, is that fair? then a year in jail if caught driving after that? all while more dangerous criminals get to plea bargain their way to freedom with no jail time.
    Rod Blagojevich: I'm Lawful, 'Feel Free' To Tape Me

chad dornsife for president in 2012!!!

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by lugnuts View Post

so you have no problem with VA sending people to Jail for speeding then?

Sure do... I never said anything about such laws.

Thinking that line of thought follows directly from my remarks is by and large a fallacy... there is a stark differentiation between the two lines of thought, and I know you know this...
    Last edited by AirMoore; 06-05-2010 at 01:14 PM.