Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pay to Speed

Good Citizen

Default Pay to Speed

http://www.aolnews.com/story/nevada-...fix-to/1253417

I found this on AOL, seems like an interesting concept

Lead Foot

Default Re: Pay to Speed

Interesting. Nevada has some very desolate rural roads where 70 MPH can drive you insane.

However, buying a transponder also means every cop car would need a receiver. Not cheap. Calling in every time you use it costs for a data bank and maybe some personnel to notify each receiver too. Probably a sticker with an annual fee would be the cheaper route like they do with those hybrid cars in the diamond lanes in CA.

I'd also raise the speed limit for motorcyclists to 10 mph over what cars are allowed. They need to get away from those people who insist on yakking on cell phones and running them over.

sq-

Speed Demon
    Driving in the left lane, 10 MPH below the PSL, with my turn signal on!

The concept is a good one but needs to be tweeked as written. The speed differential would result in many accidents as well as those who paid the fee for the day would want everyone to get out of their way. If the law designated the left lane of certain hiways for the exclusive use of these permit holders it would work. Just think n more left lane loungers. This should be mandateed nationally for all multilane hiways

Power User

This has fail written all over it.

The real risk in speeding is not getting a speeding ticket, it's all the other idiot drivers on the road. When distracted-soccermom-on-her-cell-phone #1 pulls out in front of soccermom #2 doing 90 MPH, bad things are going to happen. And even if you require the speeders to take a Bondurant-type high-performance driving course before setting up a speeder account, that still leaves 99% of the drivers on the road fully untrained.

Plus, if I pay the $25 and I am prevented from driving 90 MPH by some arrogant LLB, am I entitled to a refund?

Professional

I like the idea. It's like paying your speeding fines in advance, and there's no points or insurance increase. The dangers already exist today, except the speed tax only gets paid when a motorist gets caught.

Though just raising the speed limit for everyone would be a lot safer.

Experienced

probably under the freedom of information act, the names of people who signup to speed would be availible to the public. So that also means your employer and your insurance company could use that information against you.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by swarga View Post

The real risk in speeding is not getting a speeding ticket, it's all the other idiot drivers on the road. When distracted-soccermom-on-her-cell-phone #1 pulls out in front of soccermom #2 doing 90 MPH, bad things are going to happen. And even if you require the speeders to take a Bondurant-type high-performance driving course before setting up a speeder account, that still leaves 99% of the drivers on the road fully untrained.

Plus, if I pay the $25 and I am prevented from driving 90 MPH by some arrogant LLB, am I entitled to a refund?

You are correct, also I enjoyed your posts in another thread about Sloths, it was great!

Power User

Up to 90mph? Too slow.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by RadarGoat View Post
    You are correct, also I enjoyed your posts in another thread about Sloths, it was great!
    Thank you. We all need to stop accepting this "Speed Kills" horse**** and pointing out the flaws in their ridiculous arguments.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by swarga View Post

Agree, I would be curious how the heck the LEO's would enforce this because at least in North NV across I-80 you routinely don't see that many LEO's (from my experiences) other than a few miles from the few cities that are on I-80

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Up to 90mph? Too slow.
    Agree also 90 MPH is way to slow, esp rolling over the majority of I-80 thru NV IMO.
    Last edited by Akosikojak; 09-06-2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: ADD