Radar Fanatic

Default uk anti speed bill!!

the uk have gone speed mad......

most 60mph roads have had their limits slashed to 40 mph and 30mph!

a 70mph duel carrageway had the limit slashed to 40mph!!

sitting at theses speeds is hell it was bad enough doing 70mph but 40 its a joke....... and if you decied to go with the flow of the traffic at 50 60 mph then your in trouble if you get caught and on this road there is a mobile camera van! waitting at the bottom of the hill.... as soon as your over boom your lasered!!

heres part our governments road ''safety'' bill..... i'm getting sick of hearing the word safety!!

Road Safety Bill note 2: Speeding
    Speeding is an unnecessary contributor to many road casualties and deaths. Promoting safe and considerate driving on our roads is a significant part of the work of the Department for Transport. Encouraging motorists to adopt appropriate speeds at all times is key to this.

Proposals:

create graduated fixed penalties in range of 2-6 points
    retraining courses for speeding offenders
    ban speed camera jammers and detectors
    increase penalty for not identifying driver and
    power to grant exemptions from speed limits.
    Create graduated fixed penalties in range of 2-6 points
    The Government will adapt the basic penalty point system, which covers a range of offences, to allow a graduated approach to speeding. With the advent of safety cameras there are many more speeding offences being detected, and there are considerable differences in the degree of excess speeding by motorists. The Government therefore feels it is appropriate that the penalty point system is altered so that punishment takes a better account of the level of offending. The Bill introduces the principle of graduation and extends the range of penalty points which may be given in respect of speeding offences from '3-6 or 3 (fixed penalty)' to '2-6 or appropriate penalty points (fixed penalty)'. The precise details of the level of fixed penalty (points and fine) to be applied and the circumstances to be taken into account will be the subject of future regulations and consultation.

Re-training courses for speeding offenders
    The Bill will also enable the courts to offer persons convicted of speeding the opportunity to pay for and undertake a retraining course in certain circumstances. These re-training courses will be available to those offenders who once convicted of a speeding offence have 7-11 points on their licence (including the sentence for the offence in question), which will mainly be serious repeat offenders. The offender will then be able to participate on a retraining course at his or her own expense, successful completion of which will mean that 2 or 3 points (depending upon the offence in question) will no longer be taken into account. Effectively these points, but not the record of the endorsement, will be wiped from the licence 12 months after sentencing.

Courses will be modelled on the successful Drink Drive Rehabilitation Scheme courses, which for example require at least 16 hours participation over 3 weeks. Courses will not be available to those who have successfully completed a similar course in the last three years.

Ban speed camera jammers and detectors
    Safety Cameras form an integral part of a successful road safety strategy, strict rules govern the positioning of cameras to ensure that they are sited only where there is a demonstrable risk and danger to road users. There is overwhelming evidence from both UK and international literature that speeding results in more collisions and more severe casualties. Furthermore the evidence from the independent review of the safety camera programme by University College London and PA Consulting found that cameras significantly reduced the number of people killed or seriously injured at camera sites.

The Government believes that devices which interfere with or detect the proper functioning of such cameras have only one purpose: to tell drivers when they can break speed limits and get away with it. This is unacceptable. It prevents the police from carrying out their duties, and is a danger to other law-abiding road users.

The Government will not be prohibiting those devices that rely on Global Positioning System (GPS) technology to warn drivers of published camera sites or posted speed limits, as these compliment the Government's policy to ensure that camera sites are visible and conspicuous to drivers, and so help deter excessive and inappropriate speeds on the roads. However, the provisions of the Bill mean it will be possible to prohibit a vehicle being fitted with, or a person using a vehicle carrying "speed assessment equipment detection devices" under the Construction and Use Regulations (SI 1986/1078).

Increase penalty for not identifying driver
    Currently the maximum penalty for failing to provide information about the identity of a driver is less than the maximum for a speeding offence. This creates the situation where for serious breaches of the law offenders may find it better not to reveal the identity of the driver and accept the lesser penalty of failing to identify the driver. The Government wishes to remove any incentive to evade prosecution for speeding and will bring the maximum penalties for both offences into line with each other.

forced off the roads!!

Good Citizen

Here in NJ, the highway speed limit went up from 55mph to 65mph. I think civil engineers should determine speed limits, not stupid law makers.

Radar Fanatic

Not only that, but if it were really about safety we would ACTUALLY TRAIN our drivers rather than saying "Yeah, your feet reach the pedals" and letting them go bash into things. Or maybe I'm still bitter about the accident that killed my wagon, after which the other guy said, "Yeah, I remember the last time I rear-ended someone." Would have decked him if not for the concussion.

Power User

Here in VA it's real easy to get a license. You don't even have to speak or understand english. Strange, all of our road signs are in english. Parallel parking hasn't been in the test for years now. When I took the driving test back in 1994, all I had to was drive down the road, turn right, make a U-turn at a dead end, go back to the road, turn left, and turn left back to the DMV and I was done. It's BS how they give licenses out and then claim how they are SO concernced with safety all the time. The way they give out licenses is probably the most unsafe thing that occurs.

Lead Foot

Damn, you had it easy. In NC (1979), I had to drive 2mile from the DMV, on the HWY, go into a neighborhood, school zone, park on the side of the road, do a 3pt turn, parallel park, back up, park side by side, show where the jack and spare was, tell the testor to put on HIS seatbelt and my license cost was $10.00.

Ahh, the good old days. Now, my youngest had to get a learners permit ($20.00), it's good for 18 months and cannot try for license within less than a year. It's called graduated licensing. I like the idea. Now I can train 'em right.

Lead Foot

I honesty think it's a good program because it puts the responsibility on the parents/guardians and other responsible adults to teach them the rules of the road and what to look out for. And it better prepares them for whatever the license evaluator may throw at them. It also gives me time to save up for the additional insurance costs.

I never got a permit, only my Driver's Ed class cert, then straight to license when I turned 16. Somebody was praying for me to have made it this far