Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

Default Appeals court says 'black boxes' in cars can be used

Appeals court says 'black boxes' in cars can be used as evidence against drivers

By Paula McMahon
    Staff Writer
    Posted March 31 2005

The little "black box" in Edwin Matos' car is a reliable source of evidence that he was driving at more than three times the speed limit when he slammed into another vehicle and killed two teenage girls in Pembroke Pines, an appeals court ruled on Wednesday.

In what appears to be the nation's first such appellate ruling in a criminal case, the 4th District Court of Appeal agreed with the trial judge who allowed Broward prosecutors to use evidence gathered from the car's "black box" in Matos' 2003 trial.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...fla-news-front
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Yoda of Radar

Good thing the only black box in my car is a radar reciever!

Speed Demon

My friend got busted with a black box makes you wonder. One night he was coming home from work. He was going 55 in a 25mph zone. Lady ran a red and slammed into his pickup and died. They pulled the black box and found out he was speeding. Sentenced him to like 6 months in jail with work release. :roll: If he wasnt working he spent his time in jail weekends included. I havent been in the fargo jail. Its summer camp brand new building.

I wasnt there when he got into the accident. I dont think hes totally innocent 55 in a 25mph zone not cool! Even if the lady did run the red. Which they couldnt figure out. Just one of those things I like to ask God what happened.

Speed Demon

Default Re: Appeals court says 'black boxes' in cars can be used

Quote Originally Posted by RadarRoy
    Appeals court says 'black boxes' in cars can be used as evidence against drivers

By Paula McMahon
    Staff Writer
    Posted March 31 2005

The little "black box" in Edwin Matos' car is a reliable source of evidence that he was driving at more than three times the speed limit when he slammed into another vehicle and killed two teenage girls in Pembroke Pines, an appeals court ruled on Wednesday.

In what appears to be the nation's first such appellate ruling in a criminal case, the 4th District Court of Appeal agreed with the trial judge who allowed Broward prosecutors to use evidence gathered from the car's "black box" in Matos' 2003 trial.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...fla-news-front
    Next will be forums on how to remove/modify these "black boxes" I would be one of the first. (for better or for worse).

Yoda of Radar

I think it's integrated into the engine electronics. I think you'd need to cut a hole in your hood and put a Quadrajet on your plastic intake manifold...

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    I think it's integrated into the engine electronics. I think you'd need to cut a hole in your hood and put a Quadrajet on your plastic intake manifold...
    you just need a grenade

Radar Fanatic

Forgot about this thread. That really rubs me the wrong way. It seems to me that if you own a vehicle you should not be convicted on evidence that you effectively collected yourself. That's bordering on a violation of the Fifth Ammendment. "No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or infamous crime...nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself..."

I guess some sharp lawyer would have to establish that records made by oneself equate to testimony made on one's own behalf. Then, it would have to be established that this extends to records made automatically by personal property. (which could be done, maybe.) In this case, your "black-box" records would not be admissible in court except with your consent. I think it's plausible. Since it's a constitutional issue you could even fight to overturn any case-law that runs contrary to these principles. And if you're not in the US...beats the hell out of me!

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by LiQuiDz
    Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    you just need a grenade
    You could just buy an old Saab Turbo, conveniently I have one for sale :wink: :wink:

Good Citizen

I believe a significant amount of the 2005 line of onstar-equipped GM vehicles have this capability.Not sure if it's the onstar equipment or the ECU doing the logging though. I am almost certain that there is not a standalone TDR (traffic data recorder ) and that it is integrated into one of those units.

I know many cars with airbags will record the that enacted on the car in order for the bag(s) to deploy. I know my VW Jetta had plenty to say when I hit the wall nearly head-on doing 60. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by raresvx
    My friend got busted with a black box makes you wonder...
    Even if the lady did run the red. Which they couldnt figure out. Just one of those things I like to ask God what happened.
    If they hadn't pulled the box they would have never known he was speeding and it would have been her fault. From the information here, it was entirely her fault anyway! It'd be one thing if HE ran the red and plowed into her... But SHE ran the red and HIT HIM. His speed on the cross street had no influence on whether or not she went through the red.

If he had been going slower maybe he would have clipped her when she went through and been seriously injured himself... or maybe if he had been going 10 mph faster they would have missed...

Something is fishy about that story.

Advanced Member

In my car and many other GM cars, the "flight recorder" is in the airbag control module...