Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well said Compu44! Your post is well written and provides a nice point of view. You are exactly right concerning your statement about numbers. I am 28 and while I have seen the occasional "young punk" driving stupid, my concern is more with cell phone users and drivers running red lights. I do not have hard data, but I see at least one (usually more) stupid move every day by someone talking on a cell phone. Most states already have laws that prevent distractive driving, however they are largely not inforced. I feel like I am able to drive safely while talking, but for the good of all I would like to see talking while driving made illegal in my state, because most people can not drive safely while talking. As for banning raday detectors, that really doesnt address the issue of dangerous driving and poor decision making skills. It is simply a ploy to make us think that our elected officials are actually looking out for our best interest. Want to do something constructive for young drivers? How about making an extensive drivers education class maditory for high school students. I am amazed and the lack of knowledge of the driving laws here in Ky by not only the young people, but everyone! The driving test is WAY to easy in Ky. I passed the motorcyle portion with a score of 100% without even opening the book. One of the questions was "If you are driving a motorcyle and you are involved with a collision with an automobile, which occupents are likely to suffer more injuries?" What a joke....

Radar Fanatic

Illinois is actually pretty good in the highschool driver's ed classes. It may have just been my particular school, but I felt it was pretty good. I guess in the end though, it really boils down to the teacher.

I'm sort of halfway with you on the cell phones. While i'm not for a total ban, I really wouldn't be offended to see careless driving citations handed out where needed. I try to use mine as little as possible in the car, and use a handsfree when I can. Busy roads, I don't use it at all. I wish other people would be as cautious!

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$
    If they limit detectors to 19 and older I really do not see a problem with this. Having a jammer and a detector takes a responsible operator. Some of these young punks are crazy
    does this mean Sethy gets his admin rights taken away?

My question is, if anyone knows the answer...I am 16 and live in Maine. I have had my license for over 7 months and use a radar detector in my car. If this ammendment was enacted, would it apply to me? Am I grandfathered. If it would apply to me, how does the state intend to notify all of the other young drivers in the same position I am in.

I remember when Maine started the Act to Protect Young Drivers back in 2002 with the intermediate license and they had to set a date in which it would go into affect. Everyone getting their license before this date in Sept. did not fall under the new laws.

I wonder if it will be the same if this ammendment passes.

Experienced

I agree with you guys on this 100%. I'm not totally against restricting use of an RD to teenagers, but I do think it's looking for a culprit in the wrong place. And it really annoys me to see coments from people, especially politicians who are involved in passing laws, that are so uneducated, if not downright stupid. Poeople who refer to them as "dangerous electronic devices" or are shocked that they are legal obviously don't have any experience or knowledge in the matter. It is perfectly understandable that parents want their kids to be safe, and if restricting the usage of radar detectors will really help there, I will support it personally. But, having experience in other countries, I believe mayor problem with young drivers is their education. I know in my country you cannot have a licence until you're 18, and have passed some pretty serious tests. I'm not saying an instant solution for this exists, but better education and more practise befor acqwiring the licence is the best way to go. Where I live people have to take lectures (for about four weeks) take a writen test, then practise for a minimum of 25 - 30 hours with instructor before taking a final test!

Radar Fanatic

I absolutely agree about driver training. In many respects it's not entirely a teenager's fault if he or she happens to be among a statistically "worse" demographic of drivers. It depends largely on whether someone is fortunate enough to have parents or older relatives/friends/whatever who are a) decent drivers themselves and b) willing to take the time to train the kids properly.

I also think that confidence is a huge part of being a good driver. You have to trust yourself not to screw up! Otherwise you become one of those people driving 50 in a 65 backing up traffic and causing collisions. Only a sound education and lots of wheel time with a competent instructor (professional or not) will achieve this. Hell, I could argue that a radar detector **might** be a positive thing in this respect.