Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Does Navalert interfere with radar detectors.....

Everyone knows you're not supposed to put two radar detectors in a car because they'll interfere with each other. My question is will the navalert produce any falses or weaken the detectors range due to internal emissions like a radar detectors LO.

JTW

Newcomer

I doubt it, it's just a GPS receiver... but let someone that knows for sure answer this one

Cheetah Rep

As far as i have seen, no.

since it is a GPS product, it should work similar to other GPS products such as TomTom, etc.

Using these other GPS devices have not caused any interference with radar detectors that i have seen.

So far i have had it in use near an X50, STI and SR7 and i have not seen any type of interference.

Professional

I don't think it will because it's a GPS based system so there is no LO to interfere with your RD.

Speed Demon

Here's my take on this.

The GPS signals are already in the air, they've been there since the DOD put the satellites up there in orbit. It's been quite a few years now. If, by any remote chance, the GPS radio signals do interfere with the RD then the RDs are already compensating for it.

The GPS unit itself does NOT actively transmit any radio signals - typical units of course. As always, there are exceptions. Like current Bluetooth capable units that transmit radio signals in the BT range.

If any RD is subject to interference by radio signals out there (like GPS, BT, WiFi, whatever) then yes it will be affected. And if it is, then it could be affected not just by the NavAlert, but also by the GPS unit in your car, or your cell phone with BT headset, or some BT unit in an adjacent vehicle.

Founder of Stealthvation

I have not personally seen any conflict either
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Experienced

Default Re: Does Navalert interfere with radar detectors.....

Quote Originally Posted by JTW
    Everyone knows you're not supposed to put two radar detectors in a car because they'll interfere with each other. My question is will the navalert produce any falses or weaken the detectors range due to internal emissions like a radar detectors LO.

JTW
    Navalert does not effect radar detctors at all, not only is the device FCC tested and passwed with flying colors, I was unable to get any output at all on my spectrum analyser.

You have to remeber GPS is around 1300 mhz, even if there was any RF leakage it would not effect radar detectos up in the GHZ.

If the unit was noisy it would have never passed FCC testing.
    NavAlert is FCC and CE approved

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by navalert

Ever heard of Cobra? ;-)

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by JTW
    Quote Originally Posted by navalert

Ever heard of Cobra? ;-)
    Well like i stated GPS operates at a much lower frequency that Radar Detectors.
    GSM cellphones operate even higher then GPS and those are TRANSMITTERS and I have never seen one of them effect a radar detector.

Are the new Cobras still leaky? I thought they were not since the FCC rules change.

Also the rules for FCC testing is much differnt when it comes GPS devices for military reasons.

Our receivers are amazing, a have one customer that actually uses his navalert in his map pocket I can't believe it picks up so well at that horrible mounting location.

Radar Fanatic

GPS receivers have local oscillators or oscillators that are used in a heterodyne or superheterodyne configuration for acquiring GPS satellite signals.

The composite signal is first fed to a down-converter which amplifies and filters the incoming composite signal, mixes it with a locally generated carrier reference signal, and thus produces a composite intermediate frequency (IF) signal. For a global positioning system receiver, a decoder or channel circuit then correlates the composite signal by multiplying it by a locally generated version of the PRN code signal assigned to a particular satellite of interest.

So yes they do use oscillators and produces the IF signal which will leak out of the antenna like any other receiver.

http://www.electronics-manufacturers...-receiver.html