Newcomer

Default Fake front plate. Better than no plate?

I live in Louisiana where we have no front license plates.

A couple of other posts got me thinking.

Based on this picture showing the diameters of the LIDAR beam at 1000 and 500 feet it looks like you'd detect a center shot (aimed at front plate) at 1000' pretty reliably with the detector centered and low. Assuming your car is dark and you're veiled you should be able to slow down in time in most cases.

However a headlight shot at 1000' could miss the detector and would be more likely to go undetected.

So, my question is would the officer immediately target the headlight if he saw no front plate or do they only target the light if their having problems getting a speed reading?

Would Louisiana officers be more likely to take the headlight shot right off the bat because most vehicles don't have a retroflective front plate?

Should I put a front, non-retroflective "vanity" plate on Veiled and angled up or down to give the officer a target and encourage a center shot?

Old Timer

Keep in mind, that this diagram is if someone could hold it 100% steady. even if the officesr moves it less them a milimeter, thats like 2 feet across yuor car at 500 feet.

Good Citizen

Thats a good idea, since you dont have a front plate requirement, you could really put anything there.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Sethy
    Keep in mind, that this diagram is if someone could hold it 100% steady. even if the officesr moves it less them a milimeter, thats like 2 feet across yuor car at 500 feet.
    Of course, but having the detector directly in the targeted area would increase your chances of detecting it faster vs. having it outside of the targeted area and hoping it hits it. Right?

Maybe it's not even worth worrying about since with veil at 1000' the officer would probably hit every spot on the front of your vehicle before getting a speed reading just due to normal unsteadiness.