Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default How about a police car detector? Could this work?

Police cars are now high-tech rolling offices w/ a data link back to the station. I'm guessing that they are probably constantly streaming data to and from the station like GPS coords, looking up tags, and maybe even searching for the nearest Krispy Kreme location on the internet. All of this data has to be transmitted via RF. If one knew what frequency was reserved for LE data-link in your area, could you not keep pretty good short-range tabs on your nearest police car? FCC.gov should have all licensed frequencies on file so finding your local PD shouldn't be a problem unless they are using an unlicensed band (like the 802.11b standard, but that might not work because of it's limited range).

Armed w/ this information, once might surmise that a broadcasting police car could be detected, or better yet, triangulated with 3 such receivers at known gps coords in an area.

Hell... if they are transmitting their GPS coords and that could interecepted (and probably decrypted), you wouldn't need to triangulate.

Some may call me a dreamer.. What do ya'll think?

Speed Demon

My local PD uses trakit gps avl. Pretty easy to hack.

Newcomer

Ive heard the new communication systems are digital and thus encrypted, so it'll be pretty difficult.

Speed Demon

Yes,in most European countries,the police transmits in TETRA/ENCRYPTED system.This is digital&encrypted system and it is not posible to hack this(yet).You can forget scanning police freq.The good ol'days when the Police was on analog 800MHz system are over.

Professional

I'm Sure Thiz Will Happen Eventually...

Radar Fanatic

You don't really need the data but more just a reading that someone is sending out an odd signal in the area.

There is a web site for local cops in this area (forgot the url) that lists the current coordinates of the local cops. If someone had wifi in their car, a gps device, and some programming skills, they could write a program that alerts when cops will be around without even hacking anything.

Lead Foot

gees I though of this years ago lol. honestly..only thing that stop me are encrypted thus leading to hack and prolly short after a nice jail cell lol. anything with the words hack in it are bad..comon sense. if there is a way to do it then ya. any type of transmisson either from dispatch or sending from car are all safe. most are wif with comptuers and gps to locate cars. here in my city there is a wifi network that belongs to the city. u can see it if u look under connect to network. once u leave the city it goes away. there are many different wa tey can track the cars. if anything someone that actaully installs and programs these units has the answer on how to track them..I know of a place here tbhat works on cop cars. iv ask one kid andhe says that he can't say anything oh well..let me know ifv u find something

Speed Demon

Well where should I start here.You would need about $15000 worth of reveivers, computers and have a fbi, secret service or nsa trained agent to help you...Theres no way in the world any of us could break encripted or a unknown type of digital without a demodulation card..YOU ARE DREAMING..Trust me, its my dream as well....

Newcomer

We have tetra over here, uncrackeable, but it transmits to local cells, and is on all the time, not snoozing like mobiles do. I'd thought of scanning the relevent bands just for signals then running it through gear like this...
    http://www.dopsys.com/ser5900.htm
    to get a range and direction..
    gives you something at least??
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PhilN
    We have tetra over here, uncrackeable, but it transmits to local cells, and is on all the time, not snoozing like mobiles do. I'd thought of scanning the relevent bands just for signals then running it through gear like this...
    http://www.dopsys.com/ser5900.htm
    to get a range and direction..
    gives you something at least??
    Phil
    thats an interesting setup. what does something like that go for? only problem I see is the antenna setup is not really stealth and would stick out.