Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Old Timer

Default Virginia Airborn VASCAR Pics!

On my way to the outter banks, I saw these and thought it was interesting!

Warning Signs

Plane:

Lines:

Old Timer

I did see one cop along the way though. He was parked in the center median behind a highway. There was no way he was running laser or radar. I was curious to know what he was doing there...

Power User

man that looks like a pretty scetchy plane, I reckon my air pistol could bring it down..haha

Old Timer

Well I am pretty cetain that was the plane. I saw it go back and forth about 3 times before I noticed it.

Lead Foot

Awesome, thanks for sharing this, great pics. All you need now is a Scanner =]

anyone got a spare S.A.M lying around.......

wait it looks like a pusher ultralight. Your cops must be on a budget. With the speed of that thing the only cars they could catch up to and clock are used Hyunda's!

Power User

Next time tease the plane. Go real fast then slam the brakes just before the white lines.

Power User

hey i wonder if they would still book you??

Speed Demon

that's pretty slick. I grew up in NoVA and saw the signs but never noticed the planes. Been 10 years since I left there so maybe things have changed.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by robert
    that's pretty slick. I grew up in NoVA and saw the signs but never noticed the planes. Been 10 years since I left there so maybe things have changed.
    Nothing's changed. I've lived and driven in Virginia since they implemented airborne VASCAR and have never once seen it used or heard it on the scanner. It's just too expensive.

From [replacer_a]: The State Police use fixed-wing aircraft in this program, specifically the Cessna 182. Our cost per hour is estimated at approximately seventy dollars. Funding for this program comes from the general operating budget of the State Police and it is not a separately funded item. Because we are conscious of the fact that aerial speed enforcement costs more than our other methods, it is not deployed on a routine basis, but rather used when deemed appropriate or necessary.
    Further, I've read that they've averaged less than one ticket per hour...while consuming the time of three to six troopers. I've seen troopers on the ground running radar issue more than one ticket per hour. The signs are the real deterrent, and frankly, they work. The "Radar detectors are illegal in Virginia" signs also work.

Unfortunately the "Slower traffic keep right" signs are ignored. Maybe they should be updated to "Slower traffic keep right, because we're watching you from above!"