Default Headlight covers

I drive a black scion xb and I was thinking about making some headlight covers with the lenses of some old crappy aftermarket headlights I bought. These would only be run during the day via velcro or maybe magnets. I would only paint the lense up to the turn signal so the car is still street legal here in CA. I plan on painting most of the inside of my stock headlamps and especially the area around the turn signal for maximum stealth.

At night or when the weather is bad, the covers come off.

I still need to come up with a solution for the foglamps.

Does anyone have any input or think I will run into problems with the police?

Newcomer

Default Re: Headlight covers

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonV
    I drive a black scion xb and I was thinking about making some headlight covers with the lenses of some old crappy aftermarket headlights I bought. These would only be run during the day via velcro or maybe magnets. I would only paint the lense up to the turn signal so the car is still street legal here in CA. I plan on painting most of the inside of my stock headlamps and especially the area around the turn signal for maximum stealth.

At night or when the weather is bad, the covers come off.

Does anyone have any input or think I will run into problems with the police?
    I've considered a similar plan myself, still thinking about it. They actually sell clear headlight covers for my make/model of car so I'm considering buying a set and then putting veil on them (the new version, should it ever come out).

As to making something that completely covers them, it seems common sense that as long as it were daytime in good driving conditions it would be no worry. The reason I say that is that there are plenty of retractable headlights out there still (Vettes, etc) and those completely conceal the headlight, right? All that said, common sense and the law are rarely on speaking terms, so you'd still probably want to check out local laws.

Professional

I have PIAA lighting on the front of my 4X4 that turn night time into artificial daylight. All of the lights came with plastic covers so I know you can get some kind of plastic covers for them.

They are the rectangular shaped lights, I could go out and get you a measurement if you needed one. They look to be what I'd called standard size though. I'm sure you can order the covers from PIAA's web site if you can't find them cheaper anywhere else. They just snap on over the lights, come in white, but could easily be painted any color you wanted.