S. Florida

Default Use of Cheetah GPS Mirror in South Florida, Orlando

So i'm thinking about getting the Cheetah GPS Mirror to supplement my V1 and Blinder M45. I've done some preliminary research and the decision comes down to whether there are enough red light/speed camera traps in South Florida to merit the expense. I also travel quite a bit to Orlando, Fl. to visit family. I haven't noticed many of these but then again, I ain't lookin' too hard either.....

Cheetah person (allyoops) - is there any way I can find out how many there are in those respective locations? Is the Trinity database available to the public (my guess is "no")?. If not, no specifics needs as I know this information is probably proprietary. I'd just like to get a flavor of how many in the Miami/Orlando area. Are there plans in the area to "upgrade" to these?

To the rest of the folks who may already have one - does this device really work as adverstised! It looks really slick!

UK & USA

Default Re: Use of Cheetah GPS Mirror in South Florida, Orlando

I can personally guarantee that the product works exactly as advertised. Now some people may want to work slightly differently for their own personal preferences or situation, but I can assure you that the marketing is 100% BS Free.

We don't disclose camera details for the reasons you gave but I can say that in comparison to some other states Florida has relatively few cameras right now (as of today - 26th August 2008.) However, that is all about to change in a big way within the next 6 months.

Florida is about to become one of the most photo enforced states in the nation, because there is something akin to a "gold rush" going on there with cities all over the place signing contracts with Red-light Camera Vendors. Orlando already has the cameras intalled, working and issuing tickets. Cameras are going to take Florida by storm, and most folks won't know what hit them.

Here are some of the FL cities that we monitor - some have red light cameras already, the rest will start to instal them within 3 to 6 months.

Boca Raton

Century Village

Clay County

Collier County

Coral Gables

Cutler Bay

Delray Beach

Daytona Beach

East Naples

Escambia County

Florida City

Fort Lauderdale

Fort Pierce

Gulf Breeze

Haines City

Hallandale Beach

Hillsborough County

Key Biscayne

Manatee County

Miami Beach

Miami Gardens

New Port

North Miami

North Miami Beach

Orange County

Ormond Beach

Palm Bay

Palm Beach

Palm Beach Gardens

Palm Coast

Palm Springs

Pembroke Pines

Plant City

Port Richey

Sarasota Springs

Satellite Beach

South Venice

Sunny Isles Beach

Tarpon Springs

Temple Terrace

Trinity (Gotta love that name!!!)

Venice Gardens

Winter Haven

Winter Springs

Does that help?

UK & USA

You should also check out the VizAlert, our wireless helmet system that will let you use your V1 and Blinders more effectively on your motorcycle. It's the only helmet display that works with detectors and jammers.

VizAlert product page

The products you need are:
    1. The VizAlert RADAR package for your V1
    2. a Laser Jammer Interface for Blinder.

S. Florida

Thanks for your thorough response. I have a follow up question re the database that you use (trinity). I looked at some of the other laser trap-type databases and noticed that many entries for "speed traps" were largely cops with radar/laser guns and were inputted directly by users. I think this is garbage data and don't want the gps mirror going off because some dude happened to see a cop there a year before. My question is: Is your database strictly composed of fixed speed cameras and/or red light cameras? Thanks again.

UK & USA

I understand what you mean. On my 33 mile commute to work, I once used a competitor product which made a great fuss about alerting to speed trap sites. It was continuously alerting to different, overlapping alert zones for 26 of the 33 miles. After several "expletives deleted," at mile 28 it went spinning out the window.

If you have nothing else, (no RD, no jammer) then OK, GPS based reminders for mobile trap sites are better than nothing. They are acceptable in Europe because most countries make radar detectors illegal. It may be attractive in Virginia but I can't really see "speed trap site" alerts catching on in a big way anywhere else in the US. Using GPS location to try to warn of moving targets like a police car, has a number of obvious limitations. We list them here:

Understanding the technology: GPS-v-Mobile Traps

The advice I always give is that you serious about this stuff, you have to pick the right tool for the job; a GPS detector for camera alerts and safety reminders, a radar detector and laser jammer for mobile traps. That's why we built the interfaces in the first place, to let everything work together as one. And it's also the reason why we believe you should choose our GPS detectors over anyone else's.

About the Trinity Database, we do not use any of those public websites for data collection because we don't want to devalue the integrity or dilute the quality of the database. We don't add in any data unless it verified by one of our trusted spotters, who actually know what they are looking for (and talking about.)

Plus you always have the option on Cheetah detectors to switch off the alerts for "Common Mobile Sites." When you have a detector and jammer like yours, we recommend you switch off the mobile alerts anyway.

S. Florida

It seems as though Cheetah has a solid database and a group of serious users. I'm convinced! I placed my order earlier today. By the way, how do I order the hard wire kit?