Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Professional

Default Re: Firmware Upgrade - New features on all Cheetah GPS detectors

I've had GPSmirror in my car for two years of updates. Before that I had our radar mirror for 3 years and it used the same clamp system. Only thing that ever happened was the rubber boot came off one of the brackets but that was cured with a little double sided tape.

I think in 5 years of making mirror detector products, we had 3 come back with broken clamps, and two of those were down to blatant user abuse! One guy had even taken a hacksaw to it and he still wanted it fixed under warranty.

You've got to try really hard to break them!

The glue on the emblem is special low tac stuff so you can remove the Cheetah logo for an even stealthier look Seriously, it's something we're looking at. I believe it's something to do with the soft-touch paint finish / glue combination. We'll sort it.

Professional

well if cheetah is looking for an official source of redlight camera locations for chicago..

City of Chicago - Red-Light Camera Locations

it might be session based, so there is the path:
    Home > Your Government > City Departments > Emergency Communications > Traffic Management Authority > Red-Light Camera Locations

Professional

thanks.

Cell - is that you in your avater picture?

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy View Post
    I'm not saying it's difficult to remove, but I question how much off-and-on it can take before those clips become weak and floppy. Fortunately, I have the C100 and it's velcroed to the steering column. My factory mirror has a compass and temp gauge, plus it is auto-dimming. That's why I am glad the C100 came out.
    Mine is autodimming, with compass - but honestly, I much prefer the low-glare finish of the Cheetah GPS-Mirror. I know that everyone has unique eye-brain preferences, but this has been nearly universal, in terms of feedback.

In terms of the spring-clips becoming weak over time, I suppose that can eventually happen, but I don't foresee it until many, many years down the road - at which time, I would imagine, there would be new hardware to be had. The springs feel, subjectively, really, really robust.

Quote Originally Posted by allyoops View Post
    We designed the mirror in such a way that it clips on and off the existing mirror in seconds so that it is easy to take into the house for updates or swap between cars. It's not a permanent instal thing. (Apart from when TSI+WRX does his own mods)
    ^ Hey, just because I like SuperGlue..... Just kidding!

BTW...even with my C100 protected from direct sunlight, the glue is letting go like everyone else on the Cheetah emblem. It's curling up on both ends. What the heck did you guys use for glue? Elmers???
    ^ Try the 3M Automotive Trim/Molding tape. Give it a good "stretch" before you put it down, and it will become quite thin, very well suited to such trim/emblem usages.

Hopefully, though, like allyoops said, an adhesive change at the factory will take of this problem, for the future.

[ But for the record, I'd like to say that allyoops's spin on the situation is amazing salesmanship, particularly given the "stealth" nature of this community! ]

Here's a concern I have...

Private individuals sending in speedtraps, red light camera locations, etc.

I hope that these locations are somehow verified.
    I think that allyoops already takes this into account. While some trusted on-the-ground "spotters" are used, much of the information derived are from verified sources.

For the couple of times I've sent-in information, I've made it a point to supply cross-documentation, both "official" (i.e. press-releases coming from City Hall - akin to what cell linked to, for the metro-Chicago area) as well as not (i.e. local news-media).

Indeed, the "reliability" of the database is a huge asset, when it comes to Trinity.
    Last edited by TSi+WRX; 10-22-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX View Post

For the couple of times I've sent-in information, I've made it a point to supply cross-documentation, both "official" (i.e. press-releases coming from City Hall - akin to what cell linked to, for the metro-Chicago area) as well as not (i.e. local news-media).

Indeed, the "reliability" of the database is a huge asset, when it comes to Trinity.
    Thay's nice, but that's just you. I'd rather get my info from documented, verified sources. Like Reagan said..."trust, but verify".

Professional

i am documented and verified

yes, that is me in the avatar. allyoops, is that you in the email i've been talking to?

Professional

that was me

Professional

The Ka update worked perfectly. I got a I/O hit under my threshold and sure enough the alert came right through. This makes the V1 a dream with no x-band and 35mph threshold its very quiet.

Speed Demon

Looks like the 24-to-12 hour readout change didn't work 100%. I was out today at 12:30 (1/2 an hour after noon) and the display read .30 with no 12 in front of it. That's a 24 hour readout. It should read 12:30.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by allyoops View Post

Update 3) KA Band Alerts

Ka band alerts will play all the time (regardless of the “Audible Alert Speed” and “City Mute”.)

2 upgrade thoughts Muting:
    1) After using it for about a week, I've decided wish I had the option to turn the Ka auto-mute or slow speed mute back on. Auto and speed mute functions as a sub-menu of each band would allow users that option.

2) Also, I never can quickly find the mute button on the mirror, without taking my eyes off the road, and hand quite a ways off the wheel. Split your RDI power cord differently such that I can still use the mute button on my stock detector power cord (which is now plugged into only RDI). Muting radar will mute the mirror. This would be a simple upgrade it seems.

Or can I just get a standard phone splitter and split it myslef. Enlarge shows detail, but basically I split my stock power wire myself to RD and RDI, and ignore the Cheetah power wire to RD, and only plug in audio jack and wire back to RDI.

See I have the mute buttom mounted on my steering column, and find it much closer and easier to use than the mirror mute w/out taking my eyes off the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GTRstikya; 11-07-2008 at 10:21 AM.