Newcomer

Default Tinted License Plate Covers/Smoked Taillight Film

Just wondering--do products that visibly darken a license plate or other reflective surfaces reduce the lidar reflectivity of those surfaces? I've Veiled my headlights and license plate cover, but have a "smoked" film on my tail lights (primarily for aesthetic reasons). Do these items that affect an object's visibility within the visible spectrum have any effect in the infrared spectrum where lidar operates?

Old Timer

Default Re: Tinted License Plate Covers/Smoked Taillight Film

Light is light, so yes, there will be an effect.....

But to what extent, indeed, that is the question.

As you've said yourself, you recognize the fact that VEIL's effect is targeted mainly towards IR. And this is something that the various films, etc., does not offer.

With this other side of the equation, though, a consideration should be made.

Good brother alpinestars, on his various very, very stealthy vehicles, has demonstrated the capability of visually OPAQUE (daylight - still passes light when the headlights are turned on) "for off-road/show-use only" light covers to virtually eliminate lidar returns from those specific weak-points.

^ But therein lies the problem.

Yes, that'll work great, but unfortunately, it might, in and of itself, incite an enforcer who looks unkindly on that kind of automotive accessory to pick you out of the masses, for enforcement action.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX View Post
    Good brother alpinestars, on his various very, very stealthy vehicles, has demonstrated the capability of visually OPAQUE (daylight - still passes light when the headlights are turned on) "for off-road/show-use only" light covers to virtually eliminate lidar returns from those specific weak-points.

^ But therein lies the problem.

Yes, that'll work great, but unfortunately, it might, in and of itself, incite an enforcer who looks unkindly on that kind of automotive accessory to pick you out of the masses, for enforcement action.
    Right. My tinted plate cover is coming off this weekend for that very reason, and will be replaced by a clear, albeit VEILed, cover. My tail lights have a "light smoke" film on them, though lidar stealthiness was not a concern . . . I did it because I don't like the way my car's stock, bright silver headlights look and this tones it down a bit. Still, if it affords a bit of protection from lidar, I'll happily accept that as well.

I think, though, that you always need to maintain an awareness of trying to keep a low profile, particularly if you drive a car that's generally associated with young hooligans (like my Subaru STi). I hope that my darkened tail lights won't attract undue attention, but I'm concerned that the smoked license cover--which I think looks mighty nice--just cries "Pull me over!" a bit too loudly.

Old Timer

^ I can't agree with you more, bro. I'm on the same boat as you - although the Legacy is not perceived as a typical "Import Sport Compact," my modifications, unfortunately, definitely places me there.

VEIL - even a light coat - will still "tint" even a clear aftermarket plate cover.

From what I've seen of aftermarket plate covers, though, such a single light coat will "tint" far less than any of the "smoked" or "blue" covers out there, on the shelves of your local AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc.

Good luck!