Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Simplist Brake Light Kill Switch?

I'm kind of curious, mostly because I'm sure you can get in trouble for braking right after a radar or laser hit, but what is the easiest way to make a kill switch? Would it be directly into the fuse? With that, how do I make the circuit "brakeable" as in wire in some sort of fuse into the kill-switch circuit so that the fuse will blow instead of the wiring.
    How would I go about doing this? I've searched the forum for a while and found one thread where the guy did this same thing, but it was hard to follow his directions without a picture.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Simplist Brake Light Kill Switch?

Quote Originally Posted by nategr8ns View Post
    I'm kind of curious, mostly because I'm sure you can get in trouble for braking right after a radar or laser hit...
    Myth. You're much more likely to get in trouble for hesitating to brake while you fumble for the kill switch. Just brake. There's no law against it.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Street Lawyer

I'm kind of curious, mostly because I'm sure you can get in trouble for braking right after a radar or laser hit, but what is the easiest way to make a kill switch? Would it be directly into the fuse? With that, how do I make the circuit "brakeable" as in wire in some sort of fuse into the kill-switch circuit so that the fuse will blow instead of the wiring.
    How would I go about doing this? I've searched the forum for a while and found one thread where the guy did this same thing, but it was hard to follow his directions without a picture.

Never done this, but I imagine it wouldn't be to hard, this is how I would do it:

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky225 View Post
    Never done this, but I imagine it wouldn't be to hard, this is how I would do it:

yeah thats what I was thinking. I'm just not sure if the external fuse would work.
    The switch would likely be mounted near the wheel or near the gear lever, an easy reach.

I may try this on my dad's car to see if it works. I'm pretty sure I have an extra SPST switch somewhere (although DP and DT switches would work too).

Street Lawyer

yeah thats what I was thinking. I'm just not sure if the external fuse would work.
    The switch would likely be mounted near the wheel or near the gear lever, an easy reach.

I may try this on my dad's car to see if it works. I'm pretty sure I have an extra SPST switch somewhere (although DP and DT switches would work too).
    The only problem I can think of is that the break lights now-a-days are usually 2 filaments, there's one for when you're not breaking (lights still on, but not bright, so people can see the car from behind) and then there's a 2nd filament that's brighter and emits when the break is pressed, all on the same taillight, so the kill switch might defeat the purpose if the cop notices the 'idle' break lights have suddenly turned off. In order to fix this problem you'd have to get under the car or take the break light assembly off and cut the wires and re-wire to the switch.
    Last edited by Lucky225; 12-13-2008 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Speed Demon

could the brighter filament possibly be on a different fuse? The other option is a SPDT switch: off, low, high. This would also require getting under the car though.

Legal in 41 States

A couple things:
    Make sure the switch is rated to handle the current in the circuit
    Make sure the switch is momentary
    My car is dual filiment, pulling the brake fuse only kills the brakes, the rear running lights are still on

Street Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by REBinc View Post
    A couple things:
    Make sure the switch is rated to handle the current in the circuit
    Make sure the switch is momentary
    My car is dual filiment, pulling the brake fuse only kills the brakes, the rear running lights are still on
    good to know since I got a pontiac too this is prolly also true, i'll have to test

Speed Demon

Alright cool. The problem with a momentary switch is that I would have to hold it or push it down while braking. Are there any advantages of using a momentary?

Legal in 41 States

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky225 View Post
    good to know since I got a pontiac too this is prolly also true, i'll have to test
    I have a Holden

Alright cool. The problem with a momentary switch is that I would have to hold it or push it down while braking. Are there any advantages of using a momentary?
    That's not a problem, that's the idea behind the momentary switch. For something that isn't the safest idea to begin with, a momentary switch insures you never accidentally leave your brakes lights off.