Power User

Default MIRTS now a federal offense

MIRTS are now a federal offense. Class B. Arrestable offense. Just an FYI if you have or know someone who uses them. This went into effect September 1st 2005.

OUTRUN

109th CONGRESS
    1st Session

H. R. 1122

To improve traffic safety by discouraging the use of traffic signal preemption transmitters.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

March 3, 2005

Mr. ROGERS of Michigan introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

A BILL

To improve traffic safety by discouraging the use of traffic signal preemption transmitters.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Safe Intersections Act of 2005'.

SEC. 2. SAFE INTERSECTIONS.

(a) In General- Chapter 2 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

`Sec. 39. Traffic signal preemption transmitters

`(a) Offenses-

`(1) SALE- A person who knowingly sells a traffic signal preemption transmitter in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce to a person who is not acting on behalf of a public agency or private corporation authorized by law to provide fire protection, law enforcement, emergency medical services, transit services, maintenance, or other services for a Federal, State, or local government entity, shall, notwithstanding section 3571(b) of title 18, United States Code, be fined not more than $10,000, imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

`(2) USE- A person who makes unauthorized use of a traffic signal preemption transmitter in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce shall be fined not more than $10,000, imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both.

`(b) Definitions- In this section, the following definitions apply:

`(1) TRAFFIC SIGNAL PREEMPTION TRANSMITTER- The term `traffic signal preemption transmitter' means any mechanism that can change or alter a traffic signal's phase time or sequence.

`(2) UNAUTHORIZED USE- The term `unauthorized use' means use of a traffic signal preemption transmitter by a person who is not acting on behalf of a public agency or private corporation authorized by law to provide fire protection, law enforcement, emergency medical services, transit services, maintenance, or other services for a Federal, State, or local government entity. The term `unauthorized use' does not apply to use of a traffic signal preemption transmitter for classroom or instructional purposes.'.

(b) Chapter Analysis- The chapter analysis for chapter 2 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

`39. Traffic signal preemption transmitters.'.

END

Speed Demon

Thats kinda of weird that they just made it a law. I would think if you got pulled over before that law was pass. You still be in trouble.

Banned

I'm glad they passed this law.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by raresvx
    Thats kinda of weird that they just made it a law. I would think if you got pulled over before that law was pass. You still be in trouble.
    Well there are some old laws on the book that date back to like the 70's. It is mostly interference with a traffic control device. Other cities since the MIRTS were introduced have passed there own city or state laws. Some pretty stiff. But now the Feds have stepped in and I don't think anyone wants to get caught now. I know this law is way passed due because there are cities that have had to upgrade there systems on there own to keep the lights from being changed.

Some cities didn't enact a law becuase the chances of catching someone or very minimal. I recently talked to a guy about it that works for a city here. He says everytime a light is triggerd an alarm goes off at the traffic department either silent on the screen or audible. The computer automatically logs it. He told me a lot more but it's kinda cool.

OUTRUN

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Outrun
    Quote Originally Posted by raresvx
    Well there are some old laws on the book that date back to like the 70's. It is mostly interference with a traffic control device. Other cities since the MIRTS were introduced have passed there own city or state laws. Some pretty stiff. But now the Feds have stepped in and I don't think anyone wants to get caught now. I know this law is way passed due because there are cities that have had to upgrade there systems on there own to keep the lights from being changed.

Some cities didn't enact a law becuase the chances of catching someone or very minimal. I recently talked to a guy about it that works for a city here. He says everytime a light is triggerd an alarm goes off at the traffic department either silent on the screen or audible. The computer automatically logs it. He told me a lot more but it's kinda cool.

OUTRUN
    Does he get random alarms? Like people setting traffic lights off? I never hear storys of people getting using them. Of course mirts users are rare and so are 3M emitters users.

Power User

[Does he get random alarms? Like people setting traffic lights off? I never hear storys of people getting using them. Of course mirts users are rare and so are 3M emitters users.[/quote]

I am not quite sure what they get but I can tell you that have gotten enough trips that they have now encoded the lights in my city so they won't work. So, it must be a problem. I can think of more than four people that have them. You just don't hear much about them. You can even go and get one from a local dealer that sells them. About a year ago there were more than 10 in my area selling them.

OUTRUN