i just finally figured out how to run the gps updater program in linux i feel so proud of myself.
anyway, it takes a bit of work, and some command line.
1. Install the Wine package.
2. Download the winetricks script.
3. Run winetricks and install the dotnet11 package (from terminal "sh winetricks", then select the "dotnet11" package).
3a. Install cabextract package if 3 fails.
4. Locate where your USB->Serial device is located. (mine turned out to be "/dev/serial/by-path/pci-0000:00:1d.0-usb-0:1:1.0-port0". Remember this. You can also use the /by-id path instead.
5. Under terminal, navigate to ~/.wine/dosdevices ("cd .wine/dosdevices")
6. Type "ln -s PATH comx" where PATH is the location from 4 and comx is the com port you want to use, where x is a number. For example, my command would be "ln -s /dev/serial/by-path/pci-0000:00:1d.0-usb-0:1:1.0-port0 com1".
7. Run the updated program and click Find GPS