Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Timer

Default Testing photofog

If I apply this to my license plate, and take a picture of my plate with a digital cam, should I still be able to see my plate in the picture?

Administrator

Default Fog

The flash used with the photo radar cameras is on a different light spectrum then the flash on your digital camera. You would need a strobe that has IR spectrum
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Lead Foot

I tried photofog. Thing is that with photoradar, with the photo, they can do funny things that will make your licenseplate visible. Only a backflash would work, I think. Photo fog is a big layer of high gloss paint in my opinion and very visible if you have a policecar behind you at night.

On the photofog website is a claim of a test in Holland. They say it was succesfull, but if you look, you can still read it. The Dutch police said that it could work at night, but we have seen what they can do with the equipment used to read the photofilm. They can do anything you can do with good photosoftware.

Manufacturer

Here's a question.

Does the use of highly reflective products serve to hurt laser stealthiness?

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Radar Fanatic

Not if it reflects the laser directly into the ground or sky. 8)

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Flitsservice.nl
    The Dutch police said that it could work at night, but we have seen what they can do with the equipment used to read the photofilm. They can do anything you can do with good photosoftware.
    Are they using film or digital? And are they doing their adjustments on a computer or in development if it's film? If it's digital all they need is something that makes it 16 times brighter than the camera hoped it would be, and even if they are using the best digital cameras there is no chance in heck that they'll get it back If they use film and edit in development instead of on a computer, photofog would have to make it about 600 times brighter than the camera wanted.
    Richard

Power User

so if i angled my plate up to the sky or to the ground a little i should be safe from laser??

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    so if i angled my plate up to the sky or to the ground a little i should be safe from laser??
    Now that I've throught about it more I don't think it's quite that simple, mainly because of retroreflective paint. It's designed to reflect light back in the direction from which it came regardless of the orientation of the plate. I think that you would either need to get rid of the retroreflective paint and polish it up with photofog or something like it, or use a license plate cover that reflects IR without reflecting too much visible light as well. In either case this is all very theoretical and I have no idea how it would work in practice. I, for one, would not stake my insurance premium on it without a lot of testing.

Professional

I've tried these "spray on" fixes... the photostopper.

I can tell you first hand, they do not work.

Newcomer

What if you left your plate "dirty"? Would that help diminish the laser?