Good Citizen

Default Any Upcoming Cheetah Products?

Will there be any new GPS unit? I am tempted to purchase the Cheetah GPS, because I want to use the RDI interface with my STi (whenever it may become compatible with the ramp up). The one thing that will beholding me back is probably going to be the sheer size of the mirror. I like to think it's the gigantor of mirrors. I really wonder why you guys chose to make it so huge lol. I have a small car Mazda 3, so the GPS Mirror may actually look quite a bit out of place....

the C100 is nice, and I am considering that also, but it's not a stylish as the GPS mirror... and does the C100 lack any features that the GPS mirror have besides the Mirror part? lol

I was also looking at the automute if you are below the speed, how come the GPS mirror doesn't just mute the actual RD? Seems like it would be easy enough, but it seems on youtube you just turn the RD's volume all the way and just rely on the GPS mirror. I would definantly prefer my STi's sound alerts over the GPS mirror's
    Last edited by DarkChewby; 05-28-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Professional

Default Re: Any Upcoming Cheetah Products?

[quote=DarkChewby;551929]Will there be any new GPS unit?

If you want to interface your RD for false alarm suppression, the only products that do it are the GPSmirror and C100.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkChewby View Post
    I am tempted to purchase the Cheetah GPS, because I want to use the RDI interface with my STi (whenever it may become compatible with the ramp up).
    Radar Detector Interface for Bel STi (ramp-up fix) is now available.

The one thing that will beholding me back is probably going to be the sheer size of the mirror. I like to think it's the gigantor of mirrors. I really wonder why you guys chose to make it so huge lol. I have a small car Mazda 3, so the GPS Mirror may actually look quite a bit out of place....
    It's really not that big! There are much bigger mirror's out there. it's hte size it is for several reasons.

• 1. Cosmetic Reasons - it's designed to completely cover most stock mirrors so you don't see any of the original mirror poking out from behind.
    • 2. Practial Reasons - it's supposed to overlap the existing mirror to let the internal GPS antenna have a good view of the sky.

Most users will confirm that after you get used to it, the size is a bonus.

My wife uses it in the same size car as you and has no issues. Most of the time she doesn't even turn it on (no cameras near where we live) but she hates being without it.

the C100 is nice, and I am considering that also, but it's not a stylish as the GPS mirror... and does the C100 lack any features that the GPS mirror have besides the Mirror part?
    Exact same features. Basically it's the exact same detector in a different box.

I was also looking at the automute if you are below the speed, how come the GPS mirror doesn't just mute the actual RD? Seems like it would be easy enough, but it seems on youtube you just turn the RD's volume all the way and just rely on the GPS mirror. I would definantly prefer my STi's sound alerts over the GPS mirror's
    that's only with the V1. On Belscorts, the way the RDI's technology works is that it has to "listen" to the audio from the detector to work out what your RD is doing, so it plugs into the headphone socket. That means you can't hear the original audio any more anyway.

Good Citizen

I had mine installed in our Subaru Legacy GT and now it is in our Evo X.'
    It does not seem too big at all in either vehicle.

Good Citizen

Size of the mirror is alright. The compass is useless! Too small to read and the light is not that bright.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
    Size of the mirror is alright. The compass is useless! Too small to read and the light is not that bright.
    Word. Every car has a speedometer. Mine has two, not including the GPS map. The Cheetah makes four speedometers. Who needs that? Few cars have a compass, and even fewer have a good compass. Cheetah really needs to either replace the speedo display with the compass display, or at least make it a switchable option.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Good Citizen

While we're at it I'd like the Cheetah to show up as a separate drive on a Windows operating system when plugged in to a computer. It would be useful if the unit could be turned on and operated while attached to a computer too. Like my Garmin Nuvi does. An auto-dimming brightness control would be nice to have too.

The radar warning: Ka - Ku and K - X is kind of counter-intuitive. Most of us think of radar as existing in three bands, Ka, K and X, not as Ka - Ku and K - X. The Ku alert should be disabled when in North American mode.

Also, the four buttons on the bottom should be visible from the driver's position or placed in intuitive positions, like at the four corners of the unit.

The Cheetah needs to have a simple function that allows all settings, including custom alert locations, to be reset to "Default" as well.

I realize that designing the unit for both left and right hand drive vehicles presents additional challenges to the designers.

As far as the mirror itself goes it works well but does have one drawback in my opinion. By making objects (vehicles) in the mirror smaller it decreases the effectiveness of the unit as part of an overall countermeasures strategy. I like to I.D. objects from behind as far away as possible. Maybe a fairly small center section could be made as a flat glass panel so that the user could center that section on the center of the rear window and have a normal sized image of vehicles directly behind.

It's not a big deal, but I can't figure out why the user must select the proper time zone. The Cheetah is a G.P.S. device after all, and G.P.S. devices know where they are and what time it is by default, don't they?

On a scale of 0 - 10 I would give the Cheetah about a 7 1/2.

Your mileage may vary!