Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Trapster vs PhantomAlert

    "The site that started this thread?" There was promotion of a product and/or company in this thread? Hardly. UGC is the only way to do speed traps. I said that - and that directly supports competitors methods - not ours. The only promotion of a company name or product in this thread was you sir.

    The "first post" you keep referring to is irrelevant because the "company" wasn't a company then and the data was given away to anyone coming to the site. Since it has become a company with products for sale there has been no promotion of the company and its products anywhere in these forums.

    The BS here is your contention that we were promoting something in this thread when it was you that dropped the company name that no one would have otherwise known.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
    Well, it turns out its not BS. You've hidden the GPS POI US domain registration using a proxy service, left no name or company address information anywhere on your site, etc. But that doesn't mean you can clean up data on sites out of your control:

    To wrap it up:

    1. Your first post linked to that site.
    2. Your fourth post was in response to a thread about a company which licenses data from the company in post 1. You defended the methodology of the company referenced.
    3. Your user name: jeffcarp. The company president name: Jeff Carpenter

    So it is clear you do have a financial interest in supporting the site in the post which started this thread and the methodology of the underlying POIs they license from you.

    There are representatives here from several companies of interest to this community, such as the Veil products, jammers, RDs and Trapster. They are upfront about their affiliation which I find to be an ethical way of promotion on a forum.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,534

    Default Re: Trapster vs PhantomAlert

    It boils down to whether or not one believes its an ethically okay to engage a discussion on a social network about a product/service without disclosing when there is financial connection to the product or service.

  3. #13
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Trapster vs PhantomAlert

    Agreed. And if the discussion serves to promote a particular product, no it is not OK. That didn't happen here or anywhere else.

    If the discussion serves to offer commentary that is relevant to the discussion, then anonymous discussion is perfectly acceptable.

    The test, for me, is: can someone reading this post be led to my product or company based on my post. (i.e., by naming the company or naming something about the product that would lead a reader to Google something that would lead to the product.) If not, then there is nothing wrong with anonymously contributing to a discussion.

    Nothing if this thread violated that test - until you brought it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
    It boils down to whether or not one believes its an ethically okay to engage a discussion on a social network about a product/service without disclosing when there is financial connection to the product or service.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,534

    Default Re: Trapster vs PhantomAlert

    I believe its even more fundamental than that:

    Is there a possibility that a reader might make a purchase decision based on the discussion? Since this thread started off as a comparison of two products and one is a paid product, I think it qualifies.

    If a discussion meets the qualification, should someone with a financial interest disclose it or not, either by stating it directly, by having an obvious user name like "Escort Rep", or through their signature? I believe they should - otherwise its treading the line of "conflict of interest" and in some jurisdictions failure to disclose can actually be illegal.

  5. #15
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Trapster vs PhantomAlert

    A comparison of two products, neither of which we have anything to do with.....

    I see no point in continuing this discussion especially since it has deteriorated to the point of suggesting that this is somehow a legal issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
    I believe its even more fundamental than that:

    Is there a possibility that a reader might make a purchase decision based on the discussion? Since this thread started off as a comparison of two products and one is a paid product, I think it qualifies.

    If a discussion meets the qualification, should someone with a financial interest disclose it or not, either by stating it directly, by having an obvious user name like "Escort Rep", or through their signature? I believe they should - otherwise its treading the line of "conflict of interest" and in some jurisdictions failure to disclose can actually be illegal.

  6. #16
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    722

    Default Re: Trapster vs PhantomAlert

    I too would like to know if anyone has any actual hands on experience with both Trapster and PhantomAlert?

    Thanks.

  7. #17
    Power User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,892

    Default Re: Trapster vs PhantomAlert

    Quote Originally Posted by Gokhos View Post
    I too would like to know if anyone has any actual hands on experience with both Trapster and PhantomAlert?

    Thanks.
    So far in my area, I have PhantomAlert on my Garmins and it doesn't have any where near the amount of information Trapster does on my Blackberry.

  8. #18
    Street Lawyer
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    719, Colorado
    Posts
    7,124

    Default Re: Trapster vs PhantomAlert

    Quote Originally Posted by swarga View Post
    BWAAAHAHAHAHA, another shill gets outed.

    Nice work, Chariot!

    Pwn3d

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. PhantomALERT scammers
    By cezoot in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2012, 06:39 AM
  2. To those who have used Trapster.
    By unmamfqlm in forum Other Countermeasures
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 10:32 AM
  3. Trapster ?
    By rocky2 in forum Other Countermeasures
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-15-2009, 01:32 PM
  4. phantomAlert?
    By winee in forum Other Countermeasures
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 01:25 AM
  5. PhantomAlert
    By tonystewart in forum Other Countermeasures
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 07:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •