Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default The best counter measure of all

Ok, so I'm driving along at about 120 with very few cars around when all of a sudden I see a cop, apparently shooting instant on Ka into opposing traffic (when i got close I only got 3 bars which would have been one bar if I hadn't set the V1 Ka to be more responsive). Thinking, shoot he'll see me as I pass and nail me for sure, I nail the brakes, but he sees me sooner than I thought (maybe he had a partner looking in my direction?) and all of a sudden I get 9 bars Ka, look at the speedo and see I'm still at 100. He hits his sirens, and I think, "he's got me for 100, thats a big fine, a license suspension, insurance hike, and a few days in jail. He's stopped and I'm at 100, might as well shoot for the first exit and see if I can lose him" And I'm looking in my mirror to see what he does, and the cop is just sitting there...and sitting there...and then he turns off his siren, and that's when I realize there is a cable fence (metal posts with cable running between them) in the middle of the median and he's on the wrong side of it! I start lauging like a fool. So, long story short, the best countermeasure is a fence between you and the cop.
    Richard

Manufacturer

Awesome story!

I can imagine the "burning" sensation you had in your gut when that happened and then the relief [of disbelief] to see that cable.

Don't get me started with stories...

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Speed Demon

I have had similar incidents where this has happened but it was raining so the cop couldn't cross over to my side of the interstate because he would get stuck in the mud. I don't even slow down if a cop is running radar and I see he is on the other side of the interstate if it is raining outside.

Cheetah Rep

the look on your face HAD to be a kodak moment.
    congrats on the lucky escape.
    i'm thinking you might want to go by again some time, at the limit, and see if your favorite fence hasn't been ripped down.

Speed Demon

I doubt they'll tear it down, though I'm sure they'll start putting some crosses in it. It's main purpose is that most of the median is a deep, steep, ditch, but there are parts where it's flat and I guess it was just easier to keep the fence going.
    Richard

Newcomer

Marlin, where are you from that you can drive that fast?

Chris

Speed Demon

Where am I from or where do I drive? I mean, are you asking me where I got my ability or where I get the place to drive fast? The place is any open road, they're all over, but if it has to be on the highway it's I-85 between NC and VA. If it's the ability I come from a car guy family, I was working on cars since I was 8. We used to make trips to Germany just to drive fast on the Autobahn.
    Richard

Newcomer

Richard it has just been many years since I did 120 in a car. From the sounds of it, you do it on a regular basis! LOL At 120 MPH you must not have a whole lot of time to respond when that thing starts beeping! If mine started beeping at 120, I would s**t my pants! I should get my new V1 tomorrow and look forward to using it against my old 8500 to see what it does.

later........Chris

Speed Demon

Naw, my V1 gives me plenty of warning at 120 usually, but with rolling it's different if they're coming to me since it's like doing 170. Then I still have time, but not much, enough to very comfortably slow down and no more. The much bigger problem is stuff like this situation, where they are shooting the opposing traffic (shooting the same direction of traffic but from the back isn't that big a problem) and instant on when nobody is around.
    Richard

Default Re: The best counter measure of all

Quote Originally Posted by marlinspike
    Ok, so I'm driving along at about 120 with very few cars around when all of a sudden I see a cop, apparently shooting instant on Ka into opposing traffic (when i got close I only got 3 bars which would have been one bar if I hadn't set the V1 Ka to be more responsive). Thinking, shoot he'll see me as I pass and nail me for sure, I nail the brakes, but he sees me sooner than I thought (maybe he had a partner looking in my direction?) and all of a sudden I get 9 bars Ka, look at the speedo and see I'm still at 100. He hits his sirens, and I think, "he's got me for 100, thats a big fine, a license suspension, insurance hike, and a few days in jail. He's stopped and I'm at 100, might as well shoot for the first exit and see if I can lose him" And I'm looking in my mirror to see what he does, and the cop is just sitting there...and sitting there...and then he turns off his siren, and that's when I realize there is a cable fence (metal posts with cable running between them) in the middle of the median and he's on the wrong side of it! I start lauging like a fool. So, long story short, the best countermeasure is a fence between you and the cop.
    Richard
    Yup you found one of the biggest and best defenses agains't radar. A concrete or metal devider in the road..... :wink: 8)