Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Cheetah Rep

Default Looking for GPS unit, need help..

Well, i think one of my next new toys will be a nice GPS unit for my truck.

I haven't done much research yet, so i thought i'd see if anyone here has.

this will be for the U.S.
    here's some of the things i'd like it to do:

1. updateable via computer
    2. easy to view
    3. option for voice directions
    4. ability to program in locations (speed traps, etc) with a warning notice when approaching.
    5. depending on size and mountability, something that can be moved or hidden from thieves.

If the POI list isn't the greatest, no big deal. it will be for alternate routes along with notification of programmed locations.
    i'm not rich, but function is more of a priority than price.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Scratonicity Groupie

Hey, the guy who bought my EVO VIII just had a Tom-Tom installed in his Audi and man I was very impressed. Its not to be big which means for a clean install, it was very fast, offered alternative routes very quickly, the voice I belive was changeable so after a few months and it gets on your nerves you could change it.

I'm not sure it was upgradable via a computer however since it does recieve 2 ways I'm fairly sure they should be able to update the unit via firmware revisions using the GPS signal or a satelite signal ? ! ?

The unit is pricey his listed for $800 + Install - but I've found them going for around 600 on EBay.

Just on our 15 minute little ride around Dover I was very impressed, in my lastest Mens Health they did a techgift buying guide for christmas and it got great reviews!

Good luck on your search - the only thing i have ever used was the GPS service that nextel offered for like 8 dollars a month and it was a huge joke. I spent more time being lost than getting where I needed to go because it took so long to process!

Well I take that back I've played with a few search & rescue military grade GPS toys & WOW!!! But probably something not in any of our price range

Cheetah Rep

Cool, thanks for the info. i much prefer to hear about products from someone other than marketing hype.

i checked out their website briefly and it looks like they have several models, including a bluetooth one that integrates with my Treo 650.

Any idea which model he bought?

Cheetah Rep

Well it's looking like TomTom is the way to go for me.

I'm looking at the one for my Treo. it looks like it will do everything i want, plus it's wireless and portable. the only downside i see is that the full units, like your friends, have a bigger screen (3.5" as compared to 2" on Treo), but mine has higher resolution.
    It's basically the same software, Navigator 5.

They seem to work bankers hours, so i'll call them in the morning with a few questions.
    i can get it for $299, plus accesories through them, or better yet, get it through Palm for $199 with acessories included.

I do like the bluetooth wireless, since i can put the reciever in a pocket and i'll have GPS whenever i have my phone, plus it's instantly portable car to car.
    i'll keep everyone posted.

Cheetah Rep

Well i have since ordered and received my new GPS unit, and this thing is way cool!

I'm going to add my review here, so everyone can read about it without going to another page.
    this will be a 2 part review. one software and the other hardware.

What i got:

I bought the "palmone GPS navigator" it is a small wireless bluetooth unit that comes with the "tomtom navigator 5 software." and works with my Treo 650 cell phone.

The reason i bought from the palm store is that it was about $150.00 cheaper. it's the same software, just a different brand GPS unit, plus it came with mounting bracket and power cords.(and free overnight shipping). not to mention, i'm not too happy with tomtom as you'll see below.

The hardware:
    works great, small and compact. wireless and rated for about two hours of use before charging. it has a connector for an external antenna, along with a connector for charging.
    the connector is very nice, since you can charge it in the car, or charge it via a usb port with the included cable.

The software:
    This is the tomtom navigator 5 software. now before i explain how it looks/works and what i like/dislike, let me say this,
    TOMTOM CUSTOMER SEVICE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

this is clearly the worst customer service experience of my life, and i haven't eevn had to call on an actual issue yet. as you know i couldn't get a hold of anyone the first day. the next day i called again and i got a "all customer reps busy, please wait on the line", no problem so far, at least it didn't go straight to the "no one is available, leave a message".
    1 1/2 hours later, no one still. i hang up, call back, and back to "no one is available, leave message".

I left a message with name and number (yes, although very hard to do, politely,) asking for a call back with some customer support questions.
    this was thursday morning and they never called back.
    plus they don't have an 800 number, it's long distance.

Now that we have that out of the way, lets discuss their software.
    overall i am very pleased with it.
    here's some of the things i'd like it to do:

1. updateable via computer
    2. easy to view
    3. option for voice directions
    4. ability to program in locations (speed traps, etc) with a warning notice when approaching.
    5. depending on size and mountability, something that can be moved or hidden from thieves.
    it odes all this and more.
    it is fast and user friendly, and you can customize the distance(in yards) to have it alert to POI's (points of interest). i set up a couple of folders, one called speed traps, where i can add locations and it will alert audibly and visually when approaching, and show the remaing distance to it.( programmable from a couple of yards to about 9998 yards, or 5.6 miles)

it is quick to plan routes and offer alternates.
    i suspect the standalone units they sell will function the same, but if you think you may need to talk to customer service, good luck.

The maps.
    this version (U.S.) comes with all the U.S., Canada, Guam and Puerto Rico.
    Overall they seem pretty good, but are a bit outdated for some newer areas. Depending on where you live, the maps can be very accurate or a bit outdated. If you are going to a new neighborhood, it will/can get you close though.
    While driving, this thing is very intuitve and right on when it comes to present location.

I was playing with it and i told it to plan a route from my location back home. i turned out of a parking lot and was headed to the next street up to make a u-turn, when it voice prompted me to get in the left lane to make a u-turn (it also gave distance to the turn lane). as i approached my turn, it then prompted to make a u-turn. it even prompted the lane changes for the interstate.

you can change map colors and voices, along with the info displayed.
    i have it set to show all, including compass direction, speed, time, start and stop times, distance travelled and remaining distance.
    you can also zoom in or out on the maps. it also has a night mode.

so far my only problem would be that there seems to be no way to view/edit custom POI's. there is a menu option for managing them, but no way to do anything but delete, or add. you can't even rename a custom folder. these are minor things, but it would be nice to do. also there doesn't seem to be a way to clear any lists, for instance one that has different addresses typed in. again minor at this point.
    there also doesn't appear to be a way to add new locations onto the map, although you can use the "favorites" to add places that you can then "navigate to or from".

this is a bit of a brief summary, but you get the idea. once i try it out on my next road trip i'll have a better idea of how well it works on a longer trip.

One other thing, the entire program and map(s) must be installed to a memory stick, not the phone memory to work correctly.
    on that note, placing the memory stick in a card reader show different folders, wher i suspect you can "manually" edit the POI's and import/export them, which would be cool, so you could share these with other users.

Advanced Member

last christmas i got my father the iQue PDA GPS navigation and he has yet to use it my job for this break is to fix it and program it....I'll let you know what i think about their customer service

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Radar Fanatic

I have a factory navigation unit in my 03 Expedition (Navtech software) works excellent miss a turn and rerouting is very fast.
    Mileage to next turn and time and mileage for destination. Turns down radio at voice prompts or you can turn voice off. Only complaint is joystick is too touchy.
    I just received the cellular turn by turn navigation on my Nextel for work $20 a month unlimited. Use it all day and it is not considered minutes it is data.
    Under business names it even does closest gas stations by best price.
    Fairly OK for the price but rerouting sucks as I have to start over if I miss a turn or I have to wait too long. Looses a signal too much but I think I can correct this when a vent clip cellular mount comes as it gets a signal better sitting by the front windshield.

Cheetah Rep

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    last christmas i got my father the iQue PDA GPS navigation and he has yet to use it my job for this break is to fix it and program it....I'll let you know what i think about their customer service
    yeah, let us know all about it. I was looking around and it seems that i'm not the only with issues regarding tomtoms customer service.

V1 Dave,
    sounds like mine works similar to your Navtech. i had a chance to play with mine tonight, and it did quite well at re-routing when i went a different route.

That feature on the Nextel sounds cool, showing you the best priced gas station.

Good Citizen

I have roadmate 700 good unit but a person would be unable to program into the unit locations of speed traps. Other than that it would be ok. Mapping is from navtech

Experienced

I use tom tom on my PPC...it is beautiful... i love it..so great.. so good, so awsome...

THe tom tom GO is almost the same, which is the unit by itself...i love it on my ppc because it is my phone, my gps device and my info bizzzitch..haha

i reccomend tom tom...it is great software...