Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Professional

Lightbulb FLIR - For nightime IO speed traps

This is really more of a follow-up to "Question to all who like night driving ".

One of the most interesting ideas that I picked up on from that discussion was the possibility of using FLIR (night vision) as a countermeasure. Interestingly, it was mentioned that some high end cars do actually come with FLIR systems installed to protect against road hazards at night.

This immediately rung a bell for me, as one of the unique problems with highway driving at night. That would be the type of trap where an LEO parks on the shoulder or side of the road with lights off, laying in wait for a motorist. With lights off and no radar emissions to detect, an approaching speeder will probably not have any advance warning that he is about to be clocked. On an empty unlit road at night, this is a very formidable speed trap.

The idea is that you would be able to detect the warm (and maybe running) motor of the cruiser before you are close enough to be blasted with IO. Theoretically, I can think of a few problems with this scenario, but there is a potential to be usefull.

My question is, has anyone done this? If so, did you get any saves from it? What problems did you encounter while doing this?

And for everyone, do you think this is feasible? Why or why not?

Power User

Default Re: FLIR - For nightime IO speed traps

The only thing I will probably do is (when I get my HD camcorder) run night vision at night time and have the camcorder on the dash with the display facing me

Radar Fanatic

http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels..._cannonballrun

Alex Roy used some thermal imaging cameras when he did his run across the country. So I would think they would be a useful countermeasure at night.

"Hummer H1-style bumper-mounted L-3 Raytheon NightDriver thermal camera and LCD dashboard screens"

It is an awesome idea, and if Alex Roy used it, it works as a CM. I want it.

Advanced Member

I actually came across a "mobile Vu" monitor that hooks directly up to the Flir System. I plan on buying the camera this spring. I am going to mount it on the roof of my Excursion.

The Flir camera has dropped in price somewhat over the last several months.

http://www.l-3com.com/products-servi...type=ps&id=266
    Last edited by Jstglockem; 08-28-2010 at 08:43 PM.
    2004 Ford Excursion V10 Eddie Bauer Edition / Mercedes Benz E Class
    EBC Vented and drilled rotors ..EBC 4000 Kevlar brake
    Gibson Headers
    PIAA XT 90 Fog Lights Vision X Off Road Lights HID 5700
    Galaxy 919 CB Radio, Palomar 80, 100 Watt power amplifier
    Wilson 1000 antenna
    Magellan GPS Cheetah C50 GPS
    Costillo Dash Cam VC-100
    Kustom Pro Laser ll Infrared Lidar Gun Bushnell Radar Gun
    Valentine One Radar Detector's for the past 15 plus years

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyValentineone?feature=mhum

Professional

It seems like there is a considerable price barrier here. The closest thing to the units used by Alex Roy cost a little over 3000 dollars each. A similar system made by FLIR is shown here http://www.flir.com/cvs/americas/en/.../pathfindirle/

I also found a couple of DIY project examples for a very inexpensive IR cam based on a modified webcam and digital camera.

http://geektechnique.org/index.php?id=254

http://www.hoagieshouse.com/IR/

I figure the FLIR system is probably the one to have. Actually 2 o 3 of them would be ideal. You could have one for each side, and one for the road ahead. But, at 3k a pop, it would be much cheaper to simply depend on luck and rabbits, and simply pay a lawyer when you do get a ticket.

I am curious about the quality of the DIY type though. Would they be good enough to spot a warm motor from half a mile away? If so, that could be easily affordable by anyone,

I'm thinking Solidjake has the right idea. I'd love to hear how that works. I'm thinking about trying the DIY camera mod.

Here's a video of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vl1KFjwORs

The FLIR PathFindIR camera is $2,500.

Advanced Member

I came across a brand new FLIR camera for $2200 still in box. It should not run you more then $2500. Still a crap load of money. My Excursion is almost paid off and I am not getting rid of it. I'll get a nice car and be done.

Pathfinder is the camera that I am going to go with.
    Last edited by Jstglockem; 08-28-2010 at 09:13 PM.
    2004 Ford Excursion V10 Eddie Bauer Edition / Mercedes Benz E Class
    EBC Vented and drilled rotors ..EBC 4000 Kevlar brake
    Gibson Headers
    PIAA XT 90 Fog Lights Vision X Off Road Lights HID 5700
    Galaxy 919 CB Radio, Palomar 80, 100 Watt power amplifier
    Wilson 1000 antenna
    Magellan GPS Cheetah C50 GPS
    Costillo Dash Cam VC-100
    Kustom Pro Laser ll Infrared Lidar Gun Bushnell Radar Gun
    Valentine One Radar Detector's for the past 15 plus years

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyValentineone?feature=mhum

Quote Originally Posted by switch626 View Post
    That would be the type of trap where an LEO parks on the shoulder or side of the road with lights off, laying in wait for a motorist. With lights off and no radar emissions to detect, an approaching speeder will probably not have any advance warning that he is about to be clocked. On an empty unlit road at night, this is a very formidable speed trap.
    This is the exact scenario that resulted in my last ticket .

A strong focused beam of ir , directed at each side of the road should easily get reflections from a stealth cruiser .
    In practice the reflections from the reflective posts could
    become annoying to watch on a screen ...
    your idea have high merit if one could get it at a reasonnable
    price.
    O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!
    Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible;
    and hence hold the enemy's fate in our hands.

-- Sun Tzu, The Art of War, c. 500bc

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Eloi View Post
    This is the exact scenario that resulted in my last ticket .

A strong focused beam of ir , directed at each side of the road should easily get reflections from a stealth cruiser .
    In practice the reflections from the reflective posts could
    become annoying to watch on a screen ...
    your idea have high merit if one could get it at a reasonnable
    price.
    Ideally, it would be best to now have to flood the area with IR. That makes me immediately wonder if that would start setting off the laser jammers. It might be worth trying anyway, and might be a way to get a lesser camera to show more.

I am thinking that I want to try the DIY method with a cheap webcam. I was also thinking that one could easily enhance the video a little with a computer, maybe to a level where the cheap cam works ok. Perhaps it would still need an IR soource to be workable. I'm going to dig through my stuff and see if I have a webcam laying around. If not, I'll order it and try out the mods on it.

Focusing could be an issue too. A good candidate would be a cam that normally functions well in low light, and is manually focused. Optionally, it could be fitted with lenses from a pair of binoculars to improve the range (assuming the sensitivity is enough).

GT Driver - great vid. I think it looks like the 2400 dollar unit could work well. The best part is tickets aren't the only thing it coould save you from.

Justglockem - I can hardely wait to hear how the FLIR works out for you.