Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default First drive with C50

And it didn't even peep, save for the voice when it turned on. Last update was 12/09 and database is 2.

I will order the subscription but I was expecting something on my 40 mile drive in to work. A mix of rural routes, tolled interstates and city/town driving. It alerted nothing.

Does it not alert to all tolls, school zones etc? None of these things on my trip are new. Is this not uncommon?

Newcomer

Default Re: First drive with C50

I cannot speak for NY, but in IL, there are no alerts (that I have come across) for toll booths or school zones. The exception is for known speed traps that have been entered into the database. I would advise to go with the database subscription, but I don't think your unit is acting strangely.

I would have thought with a "new" purchase, your unit would have been relatively up to date. As of this writing, the latest version is V0084 (Aug 19, 2010). Your version dates back to 2009. THAT, I find strange. As for alerts, I get a couple alerts each day on my routine route to and from work. But if I change routes, that can double or triple. It totally depends on what (if anything) users and the Trinity database have recorded. In some areas, I have driven for hours without a "peep" as you noted. In other areas, I want to pull the plug because of the frequency of alerts. But maybe, that's just me! Try driving outside your normal routes to see if you pick anything up. If not, there may be something wrong with your particular unit. Then give Cheetah a call. Both Don and Al are fantastic at customer service. If your experience is like mine has been, you won't be disappointed.

Good luck!

Radar Fanatic

I would update it, I just updated mine. I drove over 1200 miles and it didn't warn me too many times but most was interstate so it probably wouldn't.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Tenover View Post
    I cannot speak for NY, but in IL, there are no alerts (that I have come across) for toll booths or school zones. The exception is for known speed traps that have been entered into the database. I would advise to go with the database subscription, but I don't think your unit is acting strangely.

I would have thought with a "new" purchase, your unit would have been relatively up to date. As of this writing, the latest version is V0084 (Aug 19, 2010). Your version dates back to 2009. THAT, I find strange. As for alerts, I get a couple alerts each day on my routine route to and from work. But if I change routes, that can double or triple. It totally depends on what (if anything) users and the Trinity database have recorded. In some areas, I have driven for hours without a "peep" as you noted. In other areas, I want to pull the plug because of the frequency of alerts. But maybe, that's just me! Try driving outside your normal routes to see if you pick anything up. If not, there may be something wrong with your particular unit. Then give Cheetah a call. Both Don and Al are fantastic at customer service. If your experience is like mine has been, you won't be disappointed.

Good luck!
    Thanks. The reason why I believe its an older version (although I bought it "new") was because I bought it on Ebay. I got it for $80 so I'm okay with it not being the newest version. I'll order subscription and do an update.

Radar Fanatic

I paid $89 for my new one plus $8 to ship. I would have paid the extra $ and got a new one.
    Last edited by rocky2; 09-03-2010 at 08:41 AM.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by rocky2 View Post
    I paid $89 for my new one plus $8 to ship. I would have paid the extra $ and got a new one.
    It was new, never used in the original package with all equipment included. There is nothing used about it. I bought it from a BMW parts dealer online. My guess is they stocked it at their store and it didn't move and that's why it's out of date. It was priced at $99 and I offered $80 and got it.

Radar Fanatic

Looks like there is a problem with it.Maybe contact the dealer and get a replacement unit.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky2 View Post
    It was new, never used in the original package with all equipment included. There is nothing used about it. I bought it from a BMW parts dealer online. My guess is they stocked it at their store and it didn't move and that's why it's out of date. It was priced at $99 and I offered $80 and got it.
    Oh Ok when you said ebay I just assumed it was used.

Good Citizen

I updated it to the current database after purchasing the subscription. Thing is, I have no idea where any cameras are. Is there anyway I can test the unit? Can I check the database on google maps to see where they are?

Newcomer

Hi,

We don't release any downloads of our complete camera locations. If you let me know where you are, I can confirm if there are locations near to you so you can confirm with your unit.

We deliberately only include verified locations so that the unit does not give frequent false alerts like some other systems.

The number you first see when you switch on the unit is the database version. The first digit represents year, so 0 = "10". Then the month, so 09 = September, then the release number that month, so 2 = second release that month. v0092 would mean the 2nd release of the database during September 2010.