Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default License Plate Hider

Havent seen a license plate hider like this one before. This looks pretty legit and simple to set up. No more Tolls for me

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: I might get one of these

ROFL! What amuses me is that it uses the EXACT SAME remote control that my home security cameras use!

I have a Plate Flipper, but I never did install it. I wish the one-way glass covers were cheaper and better than what is currently available. There's really very little use for these things though. Use it for tolls or RLCs and the cops will make it their personal mission to screw you hardcore like the Monkey Man. But they're good for keeping a-holes from calling your LP into the cops when they think you are driving too fast.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    they're good for keeping a-holes from calling your LP into the cops when they think you are driving too fast.
    It would be best if the little roll-down shade had a fake plate number printed on it instead of being just black. Let the smug little bastards call the cops; they'll actually be snitching on the mayor (or whichever politician is responsible for all the under-posted speed limits in your town).

Yoda of Radar

Yeah, that is what I had planned for my Plate Flipper. Had a fake plate directly behind the real one, so they had something to call in. The fake plate came back to a car of the same year and make too, hehe.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Radar Fanatic

ROFL! What amuses me is that it uses the EXACT SAME remote control that my home security cameras use!

I have a Plate Flipper, but I never did install it. I wish the one-way glass covers were cheaper and better than what is currently available. There's really very little use for these things though. Use it for tolls or RLCs and the cops will make it their personal mission to screw you hardcore like the Monkey Man. But they're good for keeping a-holes from calling your LP into the cops when they think you are driving too fast.
    Yea, I wouldn't use it at red lights, too risky. You can have cops sitting anywhere. I don't run red lights anyway. Toll booths are somewhat better, as far as the risk factor goes. Just check your rear views and look to the side for possible cops. I never really understood the whole calling in the plate thing. If someone calls it in, they could just make it up, because you have a nicer car . So I don't see how them giving your plate vs. them saying there's a black Acura TL speeding changes the game any. I wouldn't think the cop could pull you over for speeding without something concrete such as a radar/laser reading or him/her seeing you fly by. If a cop was sent out to catch you, he would either be shooting radar or laser a couple miles ahead of your last known location, in my opinion. That's where CMs come in
    Last edited by SteadySpeedin; 10-01-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Professional

That's pretty cool. I wonder if it comes in a non-UK version though...I don't think a US plate would fit in that.

I also wonder the range of the remote - in real world use you wouldn't be pointing the remote directly at the plate hider, plus you'd be a few more feet away.

Yeah, that is what I had planned for my Plate Flipper. Had a fake plate directly behind the real one, so they had something to call in. The fake plate came back to a car of the same year and make too, hehe.
    I couldn't tell you the site because I can't remember it at the moment but I once saw a company that made replica plates - anything you wanted on them, for any US state. They looked IDENTICAL to the real plate, except it was plastic as opposed to metal. They said it was totally legal to use...but...heh. It might be the same company you're referring to.

Radar Fanatic

They do versions for almost every country, including the US. I think the range is either 25m or 30, I can't remember. But its at least 25.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

But they're good for keeping a-holes from calling your LP into the cops when they think you are driving too fast.
    If they can read your plate you're not going fast enough.

Power User

Now that is evil!

Same color, too, I bet.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by SteadySpeedin View Post
    I never really understood the whole calling in the plate thing. If someone calls it in, they could just make it up, because you have a nicer car . So I don't see how them giving your plate vs. them saying there's a black Acura TL speeding changes the game any. I wouldn't think the cop could pull you over for speeding without something concrete such as a radar/laser reading or him/her seeing you fly by.
    I occasionally listen to the CHP frequencies on my scanner, and I hear a lot of plates being called in, but only rarely do I hear an officer following up on the report. One report that was followed up on was a bunch of GTOs travelling down I-5 at a high rate of speed. An officer actually intercepted them and reported in that they weren't going all that fast. I don't think he pulled any of them over.

Of course, this is California, where nightmare traffic and miniscule budgets make traffic enforcement a pretty rare occurrence compared to some other places. I'm sure my plate has been called in a few times e.g. by some uptight old LLB who failed to prevent me from passing him, and yet I've never been pulled over because of such a report.