Atlanta, GA

Default Trapster: Possible account theft

Website with 10 million users warns of password theft

A website that helps drivers avoid speeding tickets is warning its 10 million registered users that their email addresses and passwords may be in the hands of hackers who breached the site's security.

The advisory was issued on Thursday by Trapster, which boasts more than 10 million users on its front page. The site uses crowd-sourcing techniques to compile locations of police who are using radar to catch speeding drivers.

Trapster said the hack amounted to a “single event,” and that the company has since taken steps to “prevent this type of attack from happening again, and continue to implement additional security measures to further protect your data.” Trapster didn't say whether it planned to begin hashing passwords, which is considered a basic security precaution to prevent their disclosure.
    Advisory from Trapster

How do I know if my password was hacked?

We believe it’s best to be cautious. So, if you’ve registered your account with Trapster, then it’s best to assume that your e-mail address and password were included among the compromised data.

We therefore recommend changing the password on your account, and if you used that password on any other site, you should change your password on that site as well.

Default Re: Trapster: Possible account theft

Yeah I got that same email. It's a bit worrying if you ask me.

Power User
    MI / MA

Yeah thankfully I used a junk password for Trapster I didn't use for anything else. But this is quite unfortunate and one of the reasons I hate services that make you sign up for an "account" to do things that shouldn't need an account.

Power User
    not here.

Last edited by v1user; 09-20-2011 at 10:25 PM.