Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Video Dash Camera....READ!

hey guys, Im looking for , or want to know how to set-up a camera with speed being recorded on the camera like in the police cars,

This is not because I want to speed, but being that I drive MOSTLY by the speed limit I would like to have my speed on tape in case a officer wants to contest my actions in court.

I know Im going to get the answers of " put the camera on your speedometer"

I want to have it face forward with speed displayed on camera, no dash.. no seats just road and display.

like this classic i'm sure most have you have seen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alzZ7Ix8pm4

similar to that, not in km/h obviously.

Thanks for your input or help.
    ~Mike

Newcomer

Default Re: Video Dash Camera....READ!

I was researching this awhile back and found a product on Amazon that seems to do what you want its called the "Dash Cam Dual Camera Mini DVR System" I decided not to buy it because I already have two radars and a GPS , and two toll tags on my windshield, but I may buy it anyway. I was pulled over in OK last year for going 77 in 65 and I know for a fact I was only doing 67 because my V1 went off and I was looking at my speed. I braked real hard because I though it might be a 55 zone. Long story short I argued with him and he let me off.. I was still arguing with him after he told me he was letting me off. ( I am glad he didn't see my V1) . Just think how useful this device would have been?

Radar Fanatic

Get a Corvette and have it display the HUD, duh.

The expensive way is get a moving radar, always leave it on and have it write onto a video system you buy from the radar manufacturer (at least Stalker and Kustom have such systems).

The much more economical method is a GPS enabled camera, There's the Contour GPS that displays it separately but at the same time; I believe ChaseCam makes a system that will superimpose speed; a google search turned up "Gobandit GPS HD" and I found several from the first google search result of "dashcam"

Of course if you have video setup, you may be able to find a cheap mobile GPS that goes for $30-50 and stick it in the corner of the camera image, being a relatively low tech KISS non-proprietary software dependent method.

Advanced Member

You could also go on fleebay and look up kustom signals eyewitness. The ones on there are old and bulky, but you might be able to modify it. Also, I believe they are old VHS which if you're handy with electronics, you could use a digital recording device in place of the old VHS. I think some of them tie into the speedodometer of the vehicle. But then again, like mentioned in an above post, they may only tie into a RADAR system. I'm not sure. If you're the tinkering type, it might be something fun to toy with and accomplish what you want at the same time. Good luck!
    Outside Independence Hall when the Constitutional Convention of 1787 ended, Mrs. Powel of Philadelphia asked Benjamin Franklin, "Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?" With no hesitation whatsoever, Franklin responded, "A republic, if you can keep it."

-V1 3.872 (1.3 Mi. C/O Ka pointed away from me. 3.6 Mi. C/O K)-Bel RX65 New Backup (4.1 Mi. C/O Ka 35.494 Ghz, light traffic) -Laser Interceptor Gen-8 Dual (No saves yet ) -Bel 980. -Galaxy DX 959 with a peak and tune.
    -Wilson Lil' Wil antennae. -Whistler 1585. -Whistler 1430. -Passort 3200 w/ 1000 laser detector (got stolen, bought one off ebay for nostalga).
    -Cobra Trapshooter RD-31XX? (Can't remember silver/teardrop shape X, K only). -Cobra Trapshooter RD-3110 (my first RD in 1987, when Cobras were good, bought one off ebay for nostalga new in the box). -Kustom HAWK. -Kustom Falcon cordless K Band. -Kustom Talon.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Motor On View Post
    Get a Corvette and have it display the HUD, duh.

The expensive way is get a moving radar, always leave it on and have it write onto a video system you buy from the radar manufacturer (at least Stalker and Kustom have such systems).

The much more economical method is a GPS enabled camera, There's the Contour GPS that displays it separately but at the same time; I believe ChaseCam makes a system that will superimpose speed; a google search turned up "Gobandit GPS HD" and I found several from the first google search result of "dashcam"

Of course if you have video setup, you may be able to find a cheap mobile GPS that goes for $30-50 and stick it in the corner of the camera image, being a relatively low tech KISS non-proprietary software dependent method.
    I do like the Corvette idea! That would be the best way to go!!
    Outside Independence Hall when the Constitutional Convention of 1787 ended, Mrs. Powel of Philadelphia asked Benjamin Franklin, "Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?" With no hesitation whatsoever, Franklin responded, "A republic, if you can keep it."

-V1 3.872 (1.3 Mi. C/O Ka pointed away from me. 3.6 Mi. C/O K)-Bel RX65 New Backup (4.1 Mi. C/O Ka 35.494 Ghz, light traffic) -Laser Interceptor Gen-8 Dual (No saves yet ) -Bel 980. -Galaxy DX 959 with a peak and tune.
    -Wilson Lil' Wil antennae. -Whistler 1585. -Whistler 1430. -Passort 3200 w/ 1000 laser detector (got stolen, bought one off ebay for nostalga).
    -Cobra Trapshooter RD-31XX? (Can't remember silver/teardrop shape X, K only). -Cobra Trapshooter RD-3110 (my first RD in 1987, when Cobras were good, bought one off ebay for nostalga new in the box). -Kustom HAWK. -Kustom Falcon cordless K Band. -Kustom Talon.

Speed Demon

Easiest way is probably a GPS overlay that sits inbetween the Camera and the DVR

This crowd make them:

http://www.blackboxcamera.com/pic-osd/PIC-OSD.htm

Advanced Member

One poor man's way is to use video and GPS - recording the speed via GPS readout. As in this video: (Or just the speedometer - actually for a court appearance having both would be great - unless you're driving over 100.)

2010 Honda Civic Sedan
    Cobra 19 DX IV CB
    Wilson Lil Wil
    Uniden BCT15X Scanner
    Garmin Nuvi 1300
    Saves: More than I can count

Lead Foot

It would be a cool smartphone app that can record a video feed and overlay a GPS speed reading, had that idea a while ago. Too bad I don't know objective C and don't have the time to learn.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by ivirovets View Post
    It would be a cool smartphone app that can record a video feed and overlay a GPS speed reading, had that idea a while ago. Too bad I don't know objective C and don't have the time to learn.
    Dailyroads Voyager app. I use it on my Droid X but not with the speed overlay option....I don't go PSL anywhere so it would always be to my detriment to have it in any video.

Lead Foot

Bastards beat me to it.