Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Experienced

Default Superprotector Visibility & Photo Spray application

To anyone that has one, I am wondering how visible a superprotector is to casual observation. I have a 6-7 year old photo plate cover which is glaringly horrendous, and also have a relatively new PhotoShield cover which is much improved, but still noticeable to anyone who looks. From directly behind it may be a little more difficult to spot, but from a slight angle (ie, a cop overtaking/stopped in the lane beside you) it is fairly obvious. From the info/demo on Roy's site of the Superprotector, it looks somewhat different from the photoshield plate cover I have.

Absent a photo plate cover, anyone have any thoughts about putting photo spray on the plate, and then on both sides of a clear plate cover on top of that plate (similar to the recommended Veil application method)?

Cheers!

Cheetah Rep

Hey, i have a Superprotector on the way from Roy.
    Once i get it i'll let you know.
    As double coverage i'm wondering if Veil on it would help with Laser.
    Now this is for my back plate, since i don't have a front plate.
    Depending on how it looks, and if Veil directly on it isn't an option, i was thinking maybe a generic clear flat cover that i can Veil and stick underneath.
    I'll play with it and see.

Cheetah Rep

Once again, Roys service rocks. It's here, a few hours after the above post.

From the back at any distance i would say it has a very slight tint to it. if anything it looks like it is just a clear protective cover.

EDIT:6/5/05 See below for updated info/description.

Experienced

Thanks for the info! I'd definately be interested in seeing the pics.

Cheetah Rep

Okay, at night, with just the plate lights, you can tell it has a good tint to it, but you can still read it.
    With headlights from the rear, it looks fine and is completly visible.

EDIT:6/5/05
    Okay, now that i have had a chance to play with it, i have done a few mods to make it a bit less"obvious".

The problem i was noticing was that the cover had a tendency to cause the plate to look "blurred" for lack of a better word. I originally had only 2 top plate screws. i added 2 to the bottom, which helped keep the cover more "flush" against the plate. This made it look more like a clear cover, as opposed to a blocker.
    From the sides, it seems to mainly block the right half of the plate, regardless of which side you were on. Directly behind and everything was/is visible.

Now i decided to go one step further. with the cover "loose over the plate, it still gave it a slightly "fuzzy" look. Iwanted to see if i could make it as unobvious as possible, yet retain the protection. Here's what i did.

i used a dab of silicone adhesive in the middle of the cover (see red circle in pics below) this held it closer to the plate, and cleared things up a bit. As an added bonus (or double edged sword, depending on how you look at it), This also increased the "blocking range". Meaning instead of blocking the right half from about 10' away, it blocks it from about 15'-20' away. This wider field of blocking should translate to a bigger range of protection.

Now that i've done this mod, i'll look at it again tonight and let you know how it looks/works.

Lead Foot

I'd love to see the pictures, I was thinking about getting one.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    Hey, i have a Superprotector on the way from Roy.
    Once i get it i'll let you know.
    As double coverage i'm wondering if Veil on it would help with Laser.
    Now this is for my back plate, since i don't have a front plate.
    Depending on how it looks, and if Veil directly on it isn't an option, i was thinking maybe a generic clear flat cover that i can Veil and stick underneath.
    I'll play with it and see.
    Pix please

Cheetah Rep

Okay, i modified some info above, and here's some pics you guys requested.

This one shows a front(top) and left(bottom) side view without the cover.

This ones shows the same views with the cover on.

These were taken from about 12' away, zoomed and cropped.
    As you see, it looks like a clear cover from the front, but blocks from the sides.

Experienced

Thanks for the pics! It will certainly do the job for cameras, but to me, it seems a little too obvious from an angle. I'm sure I'd be stopped sooner or later for having that on, and/or definately be ticketed for it if pulled over for some other reason. Whether or not that ticket would stand up in court is another issue, but alas, a hassle nonetheless.

I think I'll stick with the spray, which is far less effective, but is also undetectable. Although photo enforcement is everywhere here, it is usually easy to spot so to me the risk of the plate isn't worth it.

I'd be curious to hear from you after a few months to see if you have had any problems with LEOs noticing it!

Thanks again for the photos!

Cheetah Rep

Your welcome.
    I thought i was imagining things about it blocking opposite sides of the plate depending on which side you're on. In the shade it does block the left half but you must be right on top of it.
    I have noticed that at night with just my plate lights on, the left side over the numbers does have a darker tint to it.

I re-tested it with a vehicle behind me, and to each side, and it's less obvious at night.
    I also noticed that depending on whether it is in direct sunlight, shade, or a combo, it does look, act a bit different.
    Overall i like it, it's just a matter of whether i get hassled for a "plastic protective" cover or not.

And believe me, if it becomes a problem and i get stopped or hassled i'll let you know.

One more thing, if anyone's interested, i can maybe do a quick video while i stand behind it and walk left to right, or better yet, get someone to drive my truck and i'll follow behind with a camcorder and film the plate. If anyone really wants to see it let me know.