Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default My idea on a new plate protector.

It involves using a Electric Privacy Glass plate over.

Information on the glass: http://www.glass-resource.com/sub/special/privacy.htm

It would be cool to design a system that could somehow detect the presence of a speed camera and then frost the glass covering your plate making the plate completely un-readable. Just need a system that can detect the camera fast enough and also somehow be able to detect non flash cameras. After your car has cleared the camera's view, your glass plate cover becomes clear again. Maybe this "system" could be used in combination with GPS.

The only potential problem I see with it is it takes electric current to keep the glass clear, removal of the current is what makes the glass frost instantly.

I had the idea for some time now. This company I used to work for had a big slab of this glass in the main conference room as a center window. I used to go play with it when no one was around.

Cheetah Rep

very interesting idea.
    i believe this came up in a discussion at SML. i think it was with the professor.
    i think having it react to the camera flash wouldn't work, due to the speed of the flash and the time it takes to frost the glass, but i didn't think of the GPS idea. actually that is a pretty good idea, since if you're using GPS anyway to be alerted of the cameras, you could "frost" the plate and continue at your own pace.

now that i think about it, i know of a possible way to implement it using GPS.
    the question is, how much is the glass?

also, if it can't work on 12volts, you'd need a small converter to plug it into. then pull a hot to the back ( and front possibly).

hmmm....

Power User

Damn it, I should have patented the idea! Along with my patent I should throw in things that won't apply to the technology I'm using. :roll:

The conference room glass I played with was instant when I hit the switch. It seemed to change as fast a light bulb turns on when hitting a light switch.

Cheetah Rep

yeah, but you might use them 10 years from now if someone else trys to. :wink:

hmm. if it's that instant, maybe, but i wonder if the time delay from flash to send the kill signal is too slow, even by a few miliseconds or something.

where's Jim to explain why this will or won't work. :?:

Cheetah Rep

good find.

looks like they stole your idea SJ.

now we just need a U.S. version.
    looks like the 12 volt issue is answered.

Radar Fanatic

This privacy glass is neat but useless for license covers.

What we need is to use this: http://cms.3m.com/cms/US/en/2-22/FiiulFT/view.jhtml

Polarized Privacy filters used for laptops. The plate could be read straight on, but not from the sides.

Cheetah Rep

that depends.
    if the plate is clearly visible from all angles until it is shut off, then completely obscured from every angle until turned on, that would work well in the fact that other covers that block views from the side would draw attention since they are "permanent".

the key would be to either tie it into a GPS unit, which can be done, or get it to be fast enough to recognize a flash from a photo camera, and not only turn off, but stay off for a set time, maybe 15 seconds, then turn back on.
    this way you're through the camera trap and your plate is clearly visible again from all angles, so you don't draw any undue attention.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    good find.

looks like they stole your idea SJ.

now we just need a U.S. version.
    looks like the 12 volt issue is answered.
    Yeah that electrochromatic stuff is cool, I've been playing with a bit of it :wink:

There ARE US versions available out there...
    Here's one, their slogan sounds eerily similar to another product's

http://www.stealthkit.com/

And here's another:
    http://www.integrale.demon.co.uk/stealth/car.htm

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX

yeah, but you might use them 10 years from now if someone else trys to. :wink:

hmm. if it's that instant, maybe, but i wonder if the time delay from flash to send the kill signal is too slow, even by a few miliseconds or something.

where's Jim to explain why this will or won't work. :?:
    Yeah, the delay is too slow....they talk about it a bit here:
    http://www.policespeedcameras.info/lcd.html

But even if it was instant, things might still be difficult: once your circuit detects the flash and decides to obscure the plate, the unobscured image is already on it's way back to the camera (light travels at the speed of light obviously). So unless something takes advantage of some inherant design issues with the camera being used (exposure time etc), a solution will likely be elusive...

Jim