Default Observations About Arizona Speed/Red-Light Enforcement...

I live in the Phoenix, Arizona area where there is the highest concentration of automated speed (mobile, intersection “speed-on-green”, and highway) enforcement cameras, as well as red light cameras in the Nation. Here are some burning questions that I have been developing for awhile and would like to open for discussion:

1. Is there usually more than one direction of travel that most photo speed enforcement cameras cover at intersections? I have observed several intersections in the Phoenix, Arizona area where the cameras seem to only be covering one direction of travel based upon the positioning of the cameras and painted red line used to indicate a violation. If this is correct, then shouldn't these details be noted when referring to the camera locations on a map?

2. Do many of the anti-photo radar license plate covers work any more? I have observed that the most recent speed enforcement cameras at intersections and highways have been installed with the camera pointed at less of an angle to the target area than earlier installations. This means that with a telephoto lens and higher digital photo definition, as advertised by one of the more aggressive speed enforcement companies in the market (Redflex Traffic Systems, Inc.), that such license plate covers no longer work. If this is correct, then why should I run the risk of being pulled over for a police officers own definition of an obscured license plate violation?

3. Are many automated speed enforcement camera systems using high definition and high speed video instead of single-shot photos? I have observed that some of the newest intersection “speed-on-green” systems have a smaller profile of equipment. It consists of one tubular camera housing on a more narrow pole than the earlier bulky systems. Initially I thought that this was for some other function, until I read the Redflex Traffic Systems, Inc. logo at the base of the pole. If this is correct, then that makes the behind-the-wheel identification of such systems harder and increases the necessity of keeping track of the monitored locations in human memory and/or via GPS mapping.

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
    Dr. Z.

Cheetah Rep
    Phoenix, Arizona

Hi, and welcome to the board.

here's some quick answers to your questions:

1. Yes, that should be noted and as GPS software and GPS based programs evolve you will see things like direction, local speed limit, etc.. noted.

2. In your area, no. see #3 for why.

3. most of these new cameras work on a combination of still photos and a short video clip.
    with most plate covers they only work at specific angles, otherwise they would obscure the plate at all times making them useless, as you would get constantly stopped.
    The photo flash type won't work either, as some not only take multiple pictures, but also video.

At this point, GPS is it. there have been discussions here about things like photoelectric glass, etc.. but the feasability of those isn't too great at the moment.

check here for a list of cameras in your area.
    if you come across one not listed in your area, please post details on it, following the data format.