Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Photo radar and facing your accuser?

So is there any truth to the idea that in court you can ask to face your accuser? In the case of unmanned photo radar tickets there is no person you can face that witnessed your acts? Just curious. The X50 saves me from the problems of photo radar for now, they do however have some that don't use radar out here, trip points in the road. It may just be a matter of time before they move to laser. I for one think anything can be defeated, it all just comes down to at what cost.

So does anyone have any info on the idea of facing your accuser, I'm in Arizona. There are tons of photo radar setups here.

Banned

I don't think this idea works because a speeding ticket is not a criminal offense. I could be wrong though, especially since I'm not a lawyer.

If you want to know more about photo radar a lawyer in your state wrote a book on it called, "Smile for the speed camera." You can purchase it at amazon.com or www.photoradarlaw.com

Chris

Experienced

I believe you still have the right to face your accuser, in this case it is the guy who signed your ticket and mailed it out to you.

Professional

Default Re: Photo radar and facing your accuser?

Quote Originally Posted by (in)Sanity
    So is there any truth to the idea that in court you can ask to face your accuser? In the case of unmanned photo radar tickets there is no person you can face that witnessed your acts? Just curious. The X50 saves me from the problems of photo radar for now, they do however have some that don't use radar out here, trip points in the road. It may just be a matter of time before they move to laser. I for one think anything can be defeated, it all just comes down to at what cost.

So does anyone have any info on the idea of facing your accuser, I'm in Arizona. There are tons of photo radar setups here.
    How much warning distance do you get with photoradar? We're talking about seconds in my testing against the Multanovas, with the X50 giving the longest distance, the RX65 very close, and the V1 off (note: this is NOT the new EUR V1).

What frequency does your photo radar run at (like 34.2 or 34.3 or something totally different)?

Experienced

Default Re: Photo radar and facing your accuser?

How much warning distance do you get with photo radar? We're talking about seconds in my testing against the Multanovas, with the X50 giving the longest distance, the RX65 very close, and the V1 off (note: this is NOT the new EUR V1).

What frequency does your photo radar run at (like 34.2 or 34.3 or something totally different)?
    It depends on the traffic. If other vehicles are passing the vans then I get a very good warning, most of the time so long I have to look to find the stupid thing. If there is no traffic at all and they setup the van correctly it doesn't give very much warning (still enough). This is K band radar. Not sure of the exact frequency. The radar uses a narrow beam diagonal across the road, so if nothing reflects it to the detector it doesn't pick up really well. My experience with countless vans has been that there is always something to reflect. Most of the time I'll get a low signal for a long time before I hit the van. One has to learn that those low constant signals are in fact something and not just a drug store. I noticed the Rev 5 x50 does a much better job keeping the false alarms down. The multi target display helps in some cases, the false alarms don't last at all long where the photo radar often will last for what seams miles.

So to answer your question quarter to two miles. It widely depends on how they setup and how much traffic.

Professional

K band photoradar, aye? Sounds like Gatso-style like in the UK.

I wish SML would test the X50, RX65, and the new EUR V1, so we can see which is the best. I mean, if a detector does best on photo radar which is the hardest type to detect, regular radar guns would be dead simple to detect.

Newcomer

nvr2fast,
    why don't you propose SML to test the BEL TARGET EURO 550 Radar/Laser detector too?
    It's a special model manufactured from BEL for Europe in cooperation with their Europe partner TARGET. It's very good with photo-radar!

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by DIBO
    nvr2fast,
    why don't you propose SML to test the BEL TARGET EURO 550 Radar/Laser detector too?
    It's a special model manufactured from BEL for Europe in cooperation with their Europe partner TARGET. It's very good with photo-radar!
    It is pointless, dude. SML doesn't want to believe photo radar exists, so I'm quite certain they will not test it, because many detectors will perform poorly.

Maybe if over half the radars in the USA are photo radar, maybe, just maybe, SML might have to admit photo radar is a valid threat and test against it, but until then, we can forget about SML doing any real tests besides "maximum distance" tests and similar.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by nvr2fast
    It is pointless, dude. SML doesn't want to believe photo radar exists, so I'm quite certain they will not test it, because many detectors will perform poorly.
    Yep, the majority of them wouldn't do well at all against photo radar. SML usually tests US detectors. There are some major differences in the international detectors used for better warning on photo radar, vs the regular US detectors, the international units usually have "narrow" modes that concentrate the sweep only on the photo radar frequencies, increasing sensitivity on those frequencies. However, in the US nobody would ever run in these modes bacause they could miss regular police Ka radar. If photo radar became more common here (which I believe and hope it won't), changes would need to be made to US detectors to address the threat. But right now, photo radar is a very rare threat, and concentrated to only a few geographical areas. Unless SML specifically starts to cater to the international community, I wouldn't expect them to start testing non-us detector models.

There should be some non-US websites out there that have decent reviews and tests against photo radar, using detectors made to specifically address the photo radar threat.

Jim

Experienced

Just come to Phoenix and you can test all you want. If you can't find several photo radar vans here on any given day there is something wrong. If you are the only car on the road then your detector does very little. If however there is any traffic my X50 works very well from a pretty good distance. I would hae to say the average is half a mile with the max being a little over a mile. Half a mile is more then enough time. Now when no cars are on the road we are talking quarter mile or less. If your really doing something stupid your screwed. 10 over, it's no problem.

Sometimes they will park the van in such a way that it reflects off it's surroundings giving far more warning time. I have come upon at least one or two that gave quarter of a mile or less warning. They normally set them up in 35-40 mph zones so you should not be doing 90. If your just going 10 over your safe even with the very short warning time.

So yes I have many real experiences with the X50 and photo radar.