Thread: speed cameras

Default speed cameras

Hey, im from montgomery county, MD, and they are going to start implementing speed cameras in neighberhoods and around schools. Does anyone know anything about this technology and if my radar detector can detect these. (bell v995)

Radar Fanatic

your gonna have to find some more information out and wait until they are actually installed.

You should fight them before they actually get them installed - get it on the ballot and do some campaiging against it.

But anyway - they have multiple technologies that can actually detect the speed - which one the camera is using will determine whether or no you'll get an alert.

Lots of them in AZ, vans with photo too but they are Ka here. The intersectioon and freeway ones have sensors in the road here. Get a plate cover if they are the same there. Even if a plate cover is illegal there, it won't raise insurance like a traffic violaton. There are ways of getting out of the ticket if you get one though, as it isn't the same as a cop handing you the ticket. I got out of one, easliy. They have to prove, 1 you recived it, 2 it was you. If you can avoid 1. then the rest is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    Get a plate cover if they are the same there.
    i thought those didnt work

I believe radar roy sells them. I didn't get mine there but it is similar. At an angle/ side, the plate is not readable. Half the plate is distorted, atleast on mine. There's 2 models though.

Radar Fanatic

The cameras will work on either radar or loops under the road, a radar detector can only detect radar.

For the non radar cameras you need to use a gps camera locator, which uses satellites to local static traps.

Theres a device in the us called navalert, here in the uk we have a vast range of gps systems, the downside to having a gps is the subscription charge.

If you use a radar detecetor and gps then you have a very good defence against speed traps..

Cheetah Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    I believe radar roy sells them. I didn't get mine there but it is similar. At an angle/ side, the plate is not readable. Half the plate is distorted, atleast on mine. There's 2 models though.
    sounds like the superprotector.
    i don't know about the ka vans in Scottsdale, but it won't work on the fixed cameras there, including the ones on the 101 loop.

fortunately those are shut down to the end of the year, but the fixed ones in town are still active.

problem is, they not only flash the plate, but they also do video, so the superprotector won't cover the angle on them.

right now the only way to protect yourself against those cameras is with a gps warning system.

the Navalert works well against them.

Roy will have them in stock soon.

and yeah, avoid 1, and 2 won't matter.