Default speed camera qustion. Are they based on radar or laser.

excuse me for being paranoi.

I was driving on I580 and I205 in northern california. And I got a few K and Ka blips (show a weak signal) on my V1. I did not seek a smoke. It was for sure not the strong and multiple warning I got on my V1 when I pass two police cruiser today (same trip bussy day).

I was woundering if these could be speed photo enforcement units. My question is does speed photo enforcement units use radar or lazer? And would I get a strong signal like when I pass a police cruiser or when the laser was for sure pointed in my direction.

Default speed cameras

Speed cameras are radar enforced, and a few are enforced by sensors in the ground (or so I heard). Speed cameras are never laser enforced.

If you get hit with laser, your V1 will give a laser alert, which is regardless of the strength. The laser alert is pretty loud on the V1.

Radar Fanatic
    Charlotte, NC

Default Re: speed cameras

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedingVolvo
    Speed cameras are never laser enforced.
    Here in Charlotte, NC they use a Pro Laser III for Speed Photo's

New Zealand, Wellington

photo enforcement can use both radar and LIDAR. also in NZ we have mounted speed cameras which are triggered by things in the road like pressure pads.

isnt the Multanova a laser based one?

you should get a strong warning when approaching a radar speed camera with a V1

Default laser

Mybad, didn't know speed cameras were ever laser enforced.

I thought LIDAR guns required an operator to aim the gun at the plate/lights/etc.

Radar Fanatic
    Staffordshire, Uk

So were not the only ones with the laser vans there rife here in the uk,

Albuquerque, NM

Almost all stationary cameras (Red Light) use induction loops in the ground. If you look you can usually see the cut line where they laid them. 2 loops it judges the speed the first loop was tripped and then the second determining your speed with out any detection from a RD. Now speed vans have their option of radar or lidar