Radar Fanatic

Default gatso on a bend!!

a while back i read about that they couldnt place gatsos on a bend in the road due to radar inaccuracy!

well theres one a few miles from me which they have put on a bend....

as far as i know the road must be straight with the gatso lined up with road.. an i right in saying this... as i thought that if the camera was angled either to the road or away from the road it throws the reading off and its one or the other which throws the reading up! so people will get fined for doing the speed limit!

is this camera sited wrong... they have painted the lines on the road and they bend with the road....

i'll have to get a picture of this ...

Lead Foot

Gatso recommends 50 meters of straight road.

Radar Fanatic

i thought they say something like that!!

i'll have to write into the paper and kick up a fuss about it....
    theres alot of people who are on the verge of a gatso backlash and anything to fuel the anti gatsi fire is good..... it is when they are pulling stunts like this!

cheers..

jim

Radar Fanatic

The necessity for straight road makes sense. If I understand how photo radar devices work, they shoot a beam across the road and must compensate for the cosine error. If the Gatso were set up so that the beam is aimed directly at traffic, then it could be compensating for a cosine error that doesn't exist. That would result in speed measurements that are appreciably higher than vehicles are actually travelling. So folks going the limit might get busted anyway.

On the other hand, I suppose that it could go the other way. If the curve caused the beam to cross the road at a less acute angle then the speed readings might be low instead of high. What it comes down to is whether it's a left-hand or right-hand turn.

Radar Fanatic

the road bends to the left and the gatso in placed on the left...

bloody stupid place.. i went passed it and there not live yet...

i can see that flashing when it is....