Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Photo Jammer Install

Hi Roy (and/or anyone else who may have experience with one),

How difficult is the photojammer now on your website to install? Seems to me running cables from the back of the vehicle license plate to the engine in a concealed and secure manner is not something for the faint of heart. And, once it is installed, I'm assuming it could be removed and transferred to another vehicle fairly readily, or is it like a laser jammer and difficult to transfer?

Also, would it be possible to post the manual for this on the website as you have for all the other gear you sell? I know it's a recent addition and you're no doubt swamped, but it's certainly piqued my interest!

Sounds like a great product in any case, and given the cameras popping up everywhere here, very useful...

Thanks!

Newcomer

Not having any first hand experience with the product, I can offer the following advice.

The install wouldn't be as difficult as you think. You would need to find an ignition controlled 12v source-not that difficult, although probably none in the trunk. Some of the older model trunk releases that worked off of ignition controlled power would be the exception. If not, you would just need to run a wire through the vehicle to the fuse box--pretty painless procedure.

Once installed, it would be there till you take it out to install in another vehicle. Definitley not a portable unit.

Administrator

Default Install

Install is very simple, red and black wire

Red to 12 volts + and black to ground
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Experienced

Hmm, I am guessing the wires would have to be run to the front of the vehicle? I just can't visualize how that would happen, would you have to somehow tie wrap some coil tubing conduit to the undercarriage of the vehicle and run them through that?

Any suggestions on an ignition power source? I've heard wiper blades, but aren't those only powered up when you're actually using them? I do have a license plate light bulb right above my plate, that may be a perfect power source?

Roy, I assume this gadget would fall under your "most electronic equipment" return policy? If it were returned from Canada, would duty be required both ways?

What are the photo-lights actually affixed with, double sided tape, drilled/bolted into the vehicle frame, ???

Thanks!

Newcomer

Very easy to do actually. Run the wire through the trunk, and to the inside of the car.A fold down rear seat makes things easier, but it's not that much more difficult with a fixed seat.

Run the wires under the door mouldings, up and under the dash to the fuse box. Then its just a matter of wiring it to a ignition controlled 12v source. Of course you could take the easy way out and use a fuse tap. As far as the ground wire goes, you can ground it off inside of the trunk. Just pull the carpeting out of the way, and find a bolt to attach it to, or use a self tapping screw to create your own.

Good Citizen

It sounds like the device is very easy to steal...........

I'm wondering, has it been tested in conjunction with a laser shield license plate cover on the back? It seems that the flat plastic finish on the cover might inhibit the flash's ability to wash out the plate view.

Experienced

Hmm, that doesn't sound too bad DFW. I think I may have to give one of these gadgets a try. I am still curious as to how the lights actually mount though, also somewhat related to TheGame's comment. My license plate is 'recessed' somewhat into the bumper, and there is no room between the top of the plate and the recess to mount anything, but it could go on the top 'lip' of the recess if they'll fit? That would involve drilling holes if that's how it's mounted, but I'm okay with that.

I think Roy is probably the only one here at this point that has used one of these?

Administrator

Default USED THEM

I have not got them in yet, they should be in tomorrow
    I have not used one, was just present when SML tested them

Closest photo radar trap is around 100 miles away, and I don't drive down to that area much.

But I will be installing one for some additional testing
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Professional

I have one wired up at home (the VF2) courtesy of TLP, and I can tell you, after doing multiple tests, and making movies of my tests, i can tell you it 100% WORKS.

The install is not hard. It also comes with a little red LED (which doesn't show on the packaging list or anything) that you wire up, and it blinks about 5 or so times very qucikly when you power up, and when you are flashed.

I've tested from every which angle... and it is white out every time. I've even purposely tried some angles that would be very hard to cover (like almost 90 degrees parallel, and a few other odd angles and colour license plates) and it always works SO FAR.

I am doing more testing shortly, and will be making a couple of movies.

Experienced

nvr2fast, how do the flash lights around the license plate mount?

Thx!