Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Experienced

Default arizona DPS HAVE MOBILE SPEED CAMERAS

DPS AS OF TODAY 11/15/2007 HAVE NEW MOBILE SPEED CAMERAS THEY WILL BE USING ON THE FREEWAYS . i DONT KNOW WHAT BAND OF RADAR YET , BUT I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED
    THIS IS THE LINK "www.myfoxphoenix.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=036341060CC617A5C5C8D2ADF28ACC9B ?contentId=4941184&version=7&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1"

Cheetah Rep

yeah, my buddy saw one yesterday about half way between Phx and Marana.
    he didn't have a detector, so not sure what band.
    if it's like the scottsdale ones, it's "probably" Ka.

it was sitting under an overpass.

Experienced

Default photo radar

the truck they use I have run into in phoenix school zones by the same company. they have both ka and k band radar. soon as i run across the dps one i will keep you all posted on the band of radar and i will try to find out how many they are going to use

Good Citizen

So far all the vans on the street I have run into use KA band.. I have a V1 and when they set them up right I dont get much notice but when the radar antenna is pointed more down the road I get 1/2 mile or so warning.. So this is going to suck for freeways. Hopefully they use a higher powered radar for the freeway vans.

Cheetah Rep

i just ran across one yesterday in Mesa off Guadalupe. it looked more like a white Durango or SUV than a typical Van. No tinted windows and an operator inside.
    it had a sign next to it that said photo radar testing in progress, or something like that.
    it was running ka, i didn't get much warning, maybe 2 blocks, but still plenty of time to slow, it just ramped up quick, faster than the usual constant ka encounter. the traffic was pretty heavy, so this probably contributed to the quick ramp up.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    i just ran across one yesterday in Mesa off Guadalupe. it looked more like a white Durango or SUV than a typical Van. No tinted windows and an operator inside.
    it had a sign next to it that said photo radar testing in progress, or something like that.
    it was running ka, i didn't get much warning, maybe 2 blocks, but still plenty of time to slow, it just ramped up quick, faster than the usual constant ka encounter. the traffic was pretty heavy, so this probably contributed to the quick ramp up.
    I think it depends on how they have it set up, usually they camp out in front of my hood and I have seen a great variance in detection, usually I get 1 bar of KA within 500-1000 feet of the first photo radar sign then as soon as I past the first sign I get a jump from 1 bar up to 4-5 then it goes full after that. A few times they must of had the radar antenna pointed more down the road rather than at a angle since I was able to pick it up a block away.

I have still yet to see them on the freeway.

I drive from Chandler to the town of Maricopa every day for work. They are using vans for photo radar quite a bit on that road lately. I know they are using Ka but I dont know what freq. ( I just switched my 995 to Tech mode today) but I will find out.

I'm a little concerned that I get very LITTLE warning from my rd when I come up on this photo radar vehicle at 65mph. A co-worker who also owns a Bell says he also gets little warning. Its like 200 yards!! :shock:

The photo radar sits in the median and to be truthfull I'm not sure which direction his radar is working?? Is there an easy way to tell? I have not seen a flash yet.

One last question, is it normal to get this little of a warning with photo radar? I'm still pretty new to rd's

Thanks

Cheetah Rep

Is that off Maricopa rd (347)?

maybe i'll have to head over and do a few head to head tests.

Not sure about directionality, if it is one way or front/rear.
    usually the have the antenna angled, so it cuts down on detection time, plus ka is more difficult to detect anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    Is that off Maricopa rd (347)?

maybe i'll have to head over and do a few head to head tests.

Not sure about directionality, if it is one way or front/rear.
    usually the have the antenna angled, so it cuts down on detection time, plus ka is more difficult to detect anyway.
    RacerX,
    Yep your correct it is SR347. They have been working that road for a month or so now. That road is pretty busy now that
    Maricopa is built up so much. Their usually sitting on SR347 near where the road named "Casa Blanca" is. Yesterday they
    had the radar set up just about 1 mile north of the the town of Maricopa.

Dale

Cheetah Rep

well i have a confirmed sighting of one of the vans on the 17 just north of Carefree Highway. He told me it looked like a dark blue Ford Escape, or similar size SUV. he said it flashed about a half dozen photos by the time he got up to it, due to the low PSL with all the construction there. (north bound)

he didn't have a RD so i don't have band info.
    FYI