Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Photo tickets in Colorado for red-light runners

It looks like Boulder has this system running and Aurora (big suburb of Denver) is about to follow suit to automatically catch folks running red lights. Does anyone know if this system installed and managed by integrator ACS of Dallas TX is triggered by laser or radar? Personally I am in favor of bringing the hammer down on red-light runners, a dangerous practice that seems to be growing in Colorado.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...531247,00.html

Speed Demon

I was pretty sure it was triggered by a wire just beneath the surface of the road, no? I remember it was a big deal on DC local news when ome guy got a ticket for running a red light, but infact he had stopped with his front wheels on top of the white strip that tells you were to stop, and DC law just says you can't stop after that. There was a whole big thing on the news about how these cameras are giving innocent people tickets and what all (and they do). I wouldn't mind them so much since I don't run red if it weren't for two things

1 - If I'm coming up on a light that turns yellow when I get close, instead of safely going through, I just slam on my brakes because I'm afraid of the ticket

2 - they are frequently wrong, and I don't think they satisfy burden of proof nor due process.

The only problem is in my home state license plate covers are illegal (I had a friend get ticketed...I also had a friend get ticketed cause his tint was 5% too much...but it was only because there was factory tint and so the legal amount of after tint was too much, so the officer said I'll let you go with a warning, go take it off), so I can't block the camera's view.

Richard

Lead Foot

Marlinspike, you're in NC right? What part of NC enforces the license plate cover restriction that tough? Let me know so I never go there.

BTW- I think VEIL advertises a clear plate cover. Thinking about getting one myself...rear plate only. No front vanity.

Speed Demon

I'm in NC for college, my homestate is Maryland.
    Richard

Lead Foot

So, you're running up and down I-95 about as much as I am.

Speed Demon

I make 12 trips a year (not round trips, but trips) from I-85 down near Charlotte (well, about 20-30 miles north of charlotte) to I-95, to I-395, to some non-highway roads, to home in Bethesda, MD.
    Richard

Lead Foot

Where are you attending? UNC-Charlotte?

Speed Demon

Davidson College (not to be confused with Davidson Community College, you wouldn't believe the people who ask me if it's a community college, but then again they're all northerners who don't know the Princeton of the South...well you know, Princeton without grade inflation of the South).
    Richard

Speed Demon

Oh, and in case anyone's curious, my money was initially going towards a new camera body or lens, but after my last trip home when I saw 20 cops clocking cars in NC and VA alone, I decided it was time to get a detector.
    Richard

Lead Foot

Yeah, I've been down that way a couple times. As for the RD vs. camera, I understand. Just be carefull running it in VA. I'd rather not get a ticket for having the RD as much as I'd rather not get a ticket for speeding...lol