Good Citizen

Default Angle of license plate vs photo radar.

I have been having a problem w/ photo radar for the last year with one particular toll booth. I have been sent 3 "tickets" for failing to pay through this booth even though my electronic toll transponder billing account shows that I did pay. It has become a real PITA b/c they make you come in person to the office to fill out the paperwork to dispute the ticket. I have had all 3 tickets dismissed and they publicly admitted that this sporadic ticketing is a widespread problem. I already have an overhead protector but it doesn't seem to work on this particular booth all the time b/c I still got the 3 tickets. I noticed that the way my plate is mounted on my car, it is angled a few degrees back so that it is "looking up" at the sky. The camera at this booth seems to be angled down so that it is perpendicular to my plate. I glued 2 water bottle caps behind my plate so that when mounted, the plate is more perpendicular to the road and is not "looking directly" at the camera. Does any one know if this will help? That booth is the only one at this entrance, so I don't have a choice to just use another lane.

Good Citizen

One thing I can tell you is that the camera is not likely mounted inside its weatherproof enclosure at the same angle. The camera seems to be looking in a certain direction, but when you see the actual picture, it could be sometimes up to 30 degrees difference, depending on the size of the enclosure and the size of the camera.

Mounting your plates as you did would definitely help. What I would do though is mount the plate at a downward angle, but still have them able to be seen straight back. Don't let them be seen at hardly any up angle at all. Or lengthen out your protector.

Newcomer

I noticed that my car's license plate is angled upward too. And while driving around today I saw a slew of others...

Bottlecap idea is pretty good. Will have to try that.

Newcomer

A quick question about this method: Would this affect the effectiveness of the VF2? Mine arrived today and I was wondering if angling it out would hurt it's chances somehow :/

Professional

I have the VF2 too (actually a few) and supposedly scratching your plate with sandpaper will help... but not sure why. :roll:

Good Citizen

I would suppose that scratching the plate would reduce the reflectivity of the glossy coating on the plate similar in theory of using a color copy of the plate. I wonder if spraying a layer of matte/dull clearcoat would work the same way as the scratching w/o being as obvious. I was considering getting a VF2 but the toll booth I have a problem with is very close to a local LEO station, so there are always LEOs using the same booth. I haven't been pulled over for my overhead protector even though many LEOs have been followed me through the toll, but the flash from a VF2 may draw too much attention for me.

Lead Foot

Default SuperSpectureGuard anti-photo plate cover

This will get you a ticket so fast ...don't even waste your money $$$$ on any of their products.
    It is the same as putting duck tape over your license plate only it costs $39.95 a plate which is easily seen by anyone including police officers behind you. It is so obvious that you are concealing your license plate numbers for which there is no excuse for getting out of the ticket. Though this company also known as TelestarOne makes a claim that your license numbers will not be covered and easily seen from the rear...NOT TRUE. You will attract so much suspicion like a guy wearing a ski mask to go shopping in a bank. They don't even have a return policy only a ONE YEAR warranty that their plate will not break. That won't do you any good because you just got tagged as they said "Check your local laws"..they are not responsible nor will they gurantee the effectiveness of their product. Too many red flags especially since they are operating out of a P.O. Box in Hermossa, Florida. Steer clear of them as they are using the internet as a tool to rip off you the consumer because you have no protection especially if you are out of state.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by eviltwin67
    I would suppose that scratching the plate would reduce the reflectivity of the glossy coating on the plate similar in theory of using a color copy of the plate. I wonder if spraying a layer of matte/dull clearcoat would work the same way as the scratching w/o being as obvious. I was considering getting a VF2 but the toll booth I have a problem with is very close to a local LEO station, so there are always LEOs using the same booth. I haven't been pulled over for my overhead protector even though many LEOs have been followed me through the toll, but the flash from a VF2 may draw too much attention for me.
    The VF2 only flashes downwards towards your plate, other people do not see it, even those following you would have to be staring at your license plate to see.

Power User

If you take away the reflectivity then the VF2 effectiveness would be reduced, the whole point of the VF2 is to induce overexposer.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by eviltwin67
    Is there such as thing as a "dull" clearcoat? I thought all clearcoats were glossy? TThis would be good to have on the front plate in combination with Veil on the lights, wouldn't it?