Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Hello & "Up Periscope"

Hi gang!

I’m new although I’ve been reading some various threads about radar stuff on this site and elsewhere. I will gradually expand on my profile once my confidence level increases. Anywho, I have learned a lot over the past few days but that’s not saying much as this field is all new to me. Heck, I’m not even sure yet how to ask the right questions. So here goes my first. I live in Arizona and DPS is now using a slew of photo speed cameras on the freeway and I understand all too well how they work.

However, I noticed that in random locations, typically on freeway construction zones, DPS is using an SUV that incorporates a “periscope” style head, with what appears to be a radar sensor or camera on the top of the 4-5 foot roof mounted pole. The sensor head is aimed to the rear so as to capture the front of passing vehicles. The rear window is deeply tented (very common) and there are at least two other sensor devices in the lower left of the rear window. Since Arizona doesn’t require front license plates, I have to assume there is a camera in the front windshield.

1) What is the most likely type of detection device being employed?
    2) Is the vehicle required to be manned, or is it a drop-in-hook monitoring rig?

Actually, I saw a guy stepping inside of it as I passed it but I’m not sure if he was just waiting to be picked by someone else. Sorry for being so detailed, but I’ll get the hang of this as time permits.
    Regards,
    ~DD
    Last edited by Digital Dude; 11-23-2008 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added content

Newcomer

Default Re: Hello & "Up Periscope"

The SUVs use low powered K band directed across the road at an angle. Very short detection with a RD. I believe they are always manned, they would probably have a tendency to burst into flames if they weren't.

Experienced

THANKS! I just received my NavAlert an hour ago, and I'm buying the V1 as soon as possible. Living here in Yuma while driving the open road of 175-miles to/from Phoenix and/or San Diego is the perfect terrain for the V1.
    Regards,

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dude View Post
    THANKS! I just received my NavAlert an hour ago, and I'm buying the V1 as soon as possible. Living here in Yuma while driving the open road of 175-miles to/from Phoenix and/or San Diego is the perfect terrain for the V1.
    Regards,
    I'm using the V1 and a Cheetah GPS here in Arizona in order to not contribute to Redflex's theft of funds from the AZ public . The cheetah absolutely renders the fixed camera's useless. Cheetah will alert to some of the common mobile locations. The V1 detects the mobile cameras but be aware that some of the mobile cameras use a very low powered K-band signal which may give little warning. Note ATS is suing redflex because these low powered radars were not legally certified. I see 2 scenarios with the mobile cameras: Thick traffic where you may miss the yellow warning signs on the side of the road. In scenario 1, you will get the most advanced warning either from k-band bounce from other cars (V1 excels at this) or from people braking and slowing ahead. scenario 2 would be no traffic ahead. Here you may get little warning but you should be able to see the yellow signs on the side of the road to slow down. In either case, k-band alerts now mean scrub off speed IMMEDIATELY.

I'm waiting for some intrepid businessman to produce an Iphone app that will integrate with the iphone GPS and iphone always connected internet connection. This app would allow people to real time mark mobile cameras and cops on the side of the road running speed traps. It would also have static marks for fixed cameras. This would be game breaking and render enforcement near useless.

Experienced

Thanks for the insight. It wasn’t long after I received my NavAlert when I firmly decided on the V1 as my preference for a detector.

In hindsight I may have been better served with the C100 considering the optional antenna and the dynamic linking between the two. Frankly, the interface and its real-world utility may be more of a hassle than it’s worth to me. In particular, the mirror model seems a bit too verbose for my taste. So, after watching the videos and reading some threads, I’m inclined to give the NavAlert a fare chance. I mean, on some products I prefer less features and a more direct approach. Still, I’ve mounted the device on the steering column as Chris has done, and I’m receiving coverage from 5-sats with full bars. I suppose the C100 with the external antenna may have given me another sat or two although I'm not sure. Anyway, if this thing identifies all the camera locations, I may just keep it and run the V1 as a stand-alone device.

As for the V1, I will likely incorporate the Remote (w/modified colors) into the center console ashtray for a more discrete install, as the tray is large enough to allow for closing the lid when I prefer a not to see it. You know, for a more factory look.

BTW: As with many of us in Arizona, my windows are tinted and I have a rear window defogger on my Passat so I’m wondering if this will impede the V1 performance. I don’t have a clue whether the tint is metallic, since it was done as a standard add-on at the time of purchase. Still, dealerships don't typically install the best or more expensive films. In fact, it's pretty light compared to most. I think its the same tint level that's required for the driver's side window i.e. maybe 35-percent. So, which Cheetah are you running and, are you using the interface connection to the V1? If so, how well does it work, and do you like it?
    Regards,
    Last edited by Digital Dude; 12-07-2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added content

Radar Fanatic

BTW: As with many of us in Arizona, my windows are tinted and I have a rear window defogger on my Passat so I’m wondering if this will impede the V1 performance. I don’t have clue whether the tint is metallic, since it was done as a standard add-on at the time of purchase. Still, dealerships don't typically install the best or more expensive films. In fact, it's pretty light compared to most. I think its the same tint level that's required for the driver's side window i.e. maybe 35-percent. So, which Cheetah are you running and, are you using the interface connection to the V1? If so, how well does it work, and do you like it?
    Regards,
    I doubt you'll have any issues with tint. I have some cheapo ghetto autozone/pepboys tint on my car thanks to the previous owner (I'm getting it removed soon and re-tinted) and I have no problems with my V1. It has probably 35% on the sides and near 15% on the rear window with the defroster.

Experienced

Thanks for the confidence check. I’ve got a PM order in for the colored V1 Remote and I’ll be purchasing the V1 a bit later.
    Regards,

Newcomer

Thanks for the insight. It wasn’t long after I received my NavAlert when I firmly decided on the V1 as my preference for a detector.

In hindsight I may have been better served with the C100 considering the optional antenna and the dynamic linking between the two. Frankly, the interface and its real-world utility may be more of a hassle than it’s worth to me. In particular, the mirror model seems a bit too verbose for my taste. So, after watching the videos and reading some threads, I’m inclined to give the NavAlert a fare chance. I mean, on some products I prefer less features and a more direct approach. Still, I’ve mounted the device on the steering column as Chris has done, and I’m receiving coverage from 5-sats with full bars. I suppose the C100 with the external antenna may have given me another sat or two although I'm not sure. Anyway, if this thing identifies all the camera locations, I may just keep it and run the V1 as a stand-alone device.

As for the V1, I will likely incorporate the Remote (w/modified colors) into the center console ashtray for a more discrete install, as the tray is large enough to allow for closing the lid when I prefer a not to see it. You know, for a more factory look.

BTW: As with many of us in Arizona, my windows are tinted and I have a rear window defogger on my Passat so I’m wondering if this will impede the V1 performance. I don’t have a clue whether the tint is metallic, since it was done as a standard add-on at the time of purchase. Still, dealerships don't typically install the best or more expensive films. In fact, it's pretty light compared to most. I think its the same tint level that's required for the driver's side window i.e. maybe 35-percent. So, which Cheetah are you running and, are you using the interface connection to the V1? If so, how well does it work, and do you like it?
    Regards,

Window tint depends on whether it has metal in it as to whether it will block radar. My G35 has metallicized tint so it does impact rear performance. I'm more worried about front threats like the mobile cameras on the side of the road. The good thing is there are almost no cops hiding in bushes anymore on the freeways. The mobile cameras have the yellow signs on the side of the road and I have trained myself to look for them. Haven't missed one yet. I run the C100 and I love it and it rocks against fixed cameras and red light cameras. Should be required to drive in AZ to protect yourself from expensive tickets.

Watch this to see why you need to be alert for the mobile vans even with the V1. If you encounter 1 of the low powered cameras, you need to slow fast immediately:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9obSqL3vEA]YouTube - Valentine 1 -v- Arizona DPS Photo Radar Van[/ame]

Experienced

Thanks for the information. I plan on purchasing the C100 as well although for now, the NavAlert will have to do. By chance, would you know what allowance or over-speed DPS is permitting on the SUV vans? I was eastbound on the 10 on Friday night and had my cruise-control set at 60 in a 55 posted limit construction zone. The camera flash went off although another vehicle was slightly passing me on my left so the flash was more likely for him. It flashed more or less at a 45-degree angle.

I would love to know more about how these SUV units are specifically configured i.e. track and photo. Yeah, the video is great although I never did see any flash from the rear so I guess they use some sort of IR or night vision camera to capture the rear plate.
    Regards,

Yoda of Radar

I thought I read something about tickets not being issued if more than one vehicle was caught in the photo? Was I imagining that? Or maybe it's just a local policy somewhere? It'd sure be easy to beat one that was issued when two cars are virtually side by side in the frame.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob