Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Experienced

Default New NZ Speed Cameras

does anyone know anything about the new New Zealand speed cameras?

All i know is that they now operate on K band instead of KA and that my STi only gets about 50 meters warning on them but once past the camera it keeps alerting for about another 100+ meters.

They came from a company called Redflex Traffic systems.

What i would like to know is:
    *Power output of radar
    *Operation Frequencies

anyone got any intel on these new threats?

Thanks
    Last edited by Anthrax; 02-17-2009 at 03:54 AM.

Speed Demon

Default Re: New NZ Speed Cameras

THEY sound like Gatso to me or could be a AutoPatrol SP-200 but it mainly uses loop induction so im steering towards Gatso.

goes it look like this

Witha bit of luck it will look like this

Experienced

nah it looks like this

Speed Demon

Ok thats a Redflex, made in Australia, they can use K, Ka or Lidar, have a GPS built in, Wifi and High Res Digital Camera....can watch 4 lanes of traffic!

Some Specs for you

• REDFLEXspeed™ Overview
    • REDFLEXspeed™ Features
    • Data Storage, Security, Effectiveness

REDFLEXspeed™ Mobile System (download brochure)
    REDFLEXspeed™ is a mobile speed violation monitoring system that makes use of non-intrusive vehicle detection technology. An industry-leading system, it is offered in two formats: self-contained vehicle-mounted, and portable tripod. Both provide outstanding situational awareness with applications to manage the most challenging detection circumstances. REDFLEXspeed™ provides quality data that consistently meets or exceeds the requirements of judicial systems across the country.
    Using its strobe illumination capabilities, operators can deploy at a variety of locations at any time of day or night. The units can be configured in multiple ways, including front or rear operator seating positions, and as systems that capture face-only, plate-only, or both face and plate.

• Uses the same power system as the hybrid vehicle itself uses, so there’s no need to plug in to recharge
    • Can be deployed on suburban streets, as well as on higher-speed thoroughfares, either by parking in a safe position on the roadway or nearby for added safety
    • Compact, easy to use, and industrially designed. Can be installed in a variety of vehicles as required
    • Systems are available as vehicle-mounted or, for added flexibility, as fully portable tripod-style mounted systems
    • Real-time graphical interface with touch screen capabilities ensures that the operator can adjust camera settings as required and that the system is operating properly. The interface is wireless, allowing the operator to undock the interface from the unit and operate remotely
    • Accurate vehicle detection +/- 1 mph or +/- 1.6 kph with built-in safeguard mechanisms to ensure that speed measurements are precise
    • Can monitor up to four lanes of traffic simultaneously
    • Provides remote system access for assistance, maintenance, and transfer of incident data and statistics
    • A variety of vehicle detection systems available, including radar (K and Ka bands) and LIDAR technologies
    • Redflex “hotspot” upload sites allow for mobile units to wirelessly upload data to the hotspot using secure VPN Wi-Fi. Also available are wired and wireless options such as LAN, cable, DSL, ISDN, and wireless broadband (EVDO), also utilizing secure VPN connectivity
      Secure onsite storage and continuous operation for multiple deployments
    • Fast visible strobe for full-color imaging. IR capabilities also available
    • SmartCam™ and SãLUS software, industryleading functionality, stability, and flexibility.
    • Provides multiple auxiliary camera capabilities to gain multiple fields of view (rear, front, multi-front photography)
    • SmartScene™ subsystem for full-motion video provides situational awareness before and after incident. Patent-pending combination
      of high-resolution digital stills with full-motion video produces irrefutable evidence
    • Multiple digital still camera options are available to suit multiple applications, including 2M, 6M, 10M, 11M and 12M pixels with wide dynamic range, fully automatic iris/aperture, gain and lightmetered override functions
    • Comprehensive statistical traffic data packages are available, providing all the types of vehicle count statistics that can be
      obtained online
    • Full operator training courses included

Speed Demon

double post please delete

Experienced

thanks for that. i think i read that on their website.

what sort of range should i be getting with my STi? im only getting an alert when im in front of the van.

Speed Demon

hmm id say on that u should atleast get 100 mtrs...but depends if it is facing away or towards you or if you are getting reflected beam from oncoming traffic.

Experienced

normally its on the motorway so 100km\h area, and we drive towards the camera lense.
    once passed i continue to get an alert for about 150meteres

Speed Demon

hmm sounds like they have the radar pointing away from you...

Experienced

how would they obtain a speed if the radar signal is being pointed in the opposite direction?
    could it be very low powered, a van being a big steel box would reflect radar radiation out of the front i would imagine.

this is a very typical setup of our camera system.