Professional

Default Does Photo Radar Saves Lifes ?

Quebec Province is back on the road to introduce photo-radar. Their main argument is to save lifes .

Is - it a proven fact or propaganda ?

I have my own opinion , I talked to people 100 % against versus 100 % for it .

Yoda of Radar

I am 100% against (of course I am, I drive a car, therefore I am against...)

They are actually very dangerous. People see the camera, stand on the brake pedal, the person behind isn't paying enough attention / wet road / poor brakes and bang - collision.

If you look up on the site www.safespeed.org.uk you can see quite a lot of information about roadsafety, in particular that of the UK, which has an extensive network of "speed camera".

Fixed cameras are not a big deal anyway, as they can be defeated with GPS or RD. The big problem is the safety risk to the populace, as well, it is inconvenience to us.

The other problem - it is not valid. You cannot make a police robot. To punish a human you need to have a human to do that, ie like a police officer in court saying "I clocked Mr. X at 147 km/h". A simple picture, of the back of a red Honda with the number "147" superimposed is not valid. Who can say that the number is appropriate with the car? Maybe it is out of calibration. Maybe somebody threw a baseball and the radar picked up that...

Photo radar is NOT reliable. Photo radar is NOT constituionally valid. Photo radar is NOT accurate. Photo radar is NOT safe.

We had photo radar for a while in the 70's. Everyone got very angry, then we had no photo radar. The reason it is back on the table is the government is getting attack from all the civil workers, the teachers, the bureaucrats, they all want more money! The government already taxes us the most in North and South America and yet they have no money either.

Quote Originally Posted by SafeSpeed
    For over three years Safe Speed has been working tirelessly to analyse the road safety trends in speed camera era. And the trends have been truly awful.

For example:

* National annual road deaths fell more in EACH of the three years before speed cameras than they have in the TEN years since.

* The most important road safety indicator of all, the fatal accident rate (i.e. the number of road deaths per billion vehicle kilometres), gradually slowed during the speed camera decade, and finally in 2003 went into reverse. This follows a former trend spanning at least 50 years during which the fatal accident rate fell by between 5% and 7% per annum with clockwork reliability.

* In 2003 the fatal accident rate rose by 1.3%. This is thought to be the first genuine rise in the history of UK motoring.

* Britain is now the slowest improving country in Europe in terms of roads fatalities according to the Department for Transport's preferred indicator.

* If the former trend (1978 to 1993) in the fatality rate had continued, over 6,800 people who have died on British roads would still be alive, and annual road deaths would be down to about 2,200 (not 3,500 and rising)

* The difference between the expected and actual trends has been termed "the fatality gap". The fatality gap now represents over a third of annual road deaths.

* At the same time that the trends have gone so badly wrong we have seen an explosion of speed camera fines. In fact speed camera fines are presently doubling every three years.

* After over 5,000 man-hours of effort on the subject Safe Speed believes that the loss of trend, and the 6,800 extra deaths have been caused by bad road safety policy, and that the bad policy has been founded on speed cameras.

* It is absurd and fraudulent to claim that speed camera saves lives when the trends have been so bad.

* We know that vehicle safety, road engineering and post accident paramedic care are improving and are making similar crashes significantly more survivable each year. And we know that these effects are much greater than the annual growth of traffic.

Official Lies

Safe Speed has uncovered and exposed a series of official lies forming the very foundations of speed camera policy.

* It isn't true that we have many crashes caused by otherwise responsible motorists exceeding a speed limit.

* The claims of speed camera effectiveness entirely depend on a well understood statistical artefact known as "regression to the mean". This has been pointed out to the main authors of the recent DfT report, yet still they persist in the deception.

* It isn't true that a 1mph reduction in average traffic speed will lead to a 5% reduction in accidents. This too has been pointed out, yet the deception continues.

* It IS true that pedestrians are much more likely to die as impact speed increases from about 20mph to 40mph. But in the real world the proportion of pedestrians dying in injury accidents with motor vehicles points to an average impact speed of just 11mph.

(at 40mph 90% die, at 30mph 50% die, at 20mph 10% die, but in the real world, in 30mph AND 40mph speed limits just 1.5% of pedestrians injured die)

Paul Smith, founder of the Safe Speed road safety campaign said: "It is absolutely outrageous that modern road safety policy is founded on nothing more than oversimplified beliefs and bad science. It is even more outrageous that the government and the camera partnerships are trying to gloss over the abject failure and convince the public that their policies are working. False road safety information is extremely dangerous and is very likely to cause loss of life because the wrong policies are followed."

Radar Fanatic

it gives the false illusion that if vehicles arent speeding then people are safe...

they are roadside distraction units, and automatic ticket machines..... and nothing more!

Professional

And what kill me is that many forumers (in my french forum) are in great favor for photo-radar. Are they idiots or just brainwashed people that believe everything government tell them ? Like 80 % are in favor !!!

Anyway , let them do and think , I will keep my v-1 , sensoro , 02m , veil and more if possible (sti driver) in counter-measure.

Photo Radar do not give better road security = that's a proven fact.

We , on this forum , are the chosen few in the know , ah ah .

Radar Fanatic

more like were not brainwashed.

like mike valentine says if you believe anything which the ghsa tell you,

you are clinicly insane! one of which 97% of uk drivers are.

funny fact is more people are being caught out by theses gatsos and mobile camera vans, yet everone is infavour of them!

one thing which comes to mind...........double standards.

double standard
    n.
    A set of principles permitting greater opportunity or liberty to one than to another.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by 411radarlover
    And what kill me is that many forumers (in my french forum) are in great favor for photo-radar. Are they idiots or just brainwashed people that believe everything government tell them ? Like 80 % are in favor !!!

Anyway , let them do and think , I will keep my v-1 , sensoro , 02m , veil and more if possible (sti driver) in counter-measure.

Photo Radar do not give better road security = that's a proven fact.

We , on this forum , are the chosen few in the know , ah ah .
    That is the topic on autonet.ca right? I was reading that...

I don't think they understand what the photo-radar is and how it would work... once they get a mailbox filled with 24 tickets for 1km/h, 3km/h, 10km/h over the limit they will "see the light"

Professional

That is the topic on autonet.ca right? I was reading that...
    Trams , exactely the place. The people there are so formatted .You should post to counter-balance the trend...

Now I prefer : http://www.autozonequebec.com/forum/ yet at this forum nobody even discuss rd , it is like only weirdos talk about rd . Are we ?

Yoda of Radar

OK, je vais s'inscrire...

Weirdos? Peut-etre :?

Mais sur mes forums d'auto plus "internationaux" c'est la meme chose.