Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default red light cam ticket with photoshield

Hi,

Got a red light camera ticket with using photoshield, on both plates. The camera only took the back picture. On the photo, the plates last letter is blurred and unreadable. Yet I guess they still were able to identify the car by a partial plate match and tied it to the make/model.

Is there any argument that can be presented here?

Good Citizen

Default Re: red light cam ticket with photoshield

not really. you were breaking the law by blowing the light as well as trying to be shield the ticket by blocking plates (which is ilegal in some places) if you go to court, you may be prosecuted for the shield. i would personally just bite the bullet and pay it this time. maybe its time for a new paint job and plate shield

Experienced

I've never used photoshield specifically however have tried photoblocker to test it's effectiveness and it doesn't work at all. There's an intersection in my city that used to be equipped with a red light camera and a K band speed sensor, which would issue warning citations for speed and an actual citation for red light infractions. I tested this stuff on this intersection driving 15 km/h over the speed limit and sure enough the warning came in the mail a couple weeks later. Applied more spray, tried again and another warning several weeks later. They have now changed that system, probably thanks to me using it as a test zone and now issues real speeding citations, so I won't be trying that anytime again.

You have to also keep in mind that the reflective nature of these products will increase your laser vulnerability.

Radar Fanatic

There are ways to defeat it but not by the popular commercially available methods. Don't waste your money.

Street Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by brettzo View Post
    I've never used photoshield specifically however have tried photoblocker to test it's effectiveness and it doesn't work at all. There's an intersection in my city that used to be equipped with a red light camera and a K band speed sensor, which would issue warning citations for speed and an actual citation for red light infractions. I tested this stuff on this intersection driving 15 km/h over the speed limit and sure enough the warning came in the mail a couple weeks later. Applied more spray, tried again and another warning several weeks later. They have now changed that system, probably thanks to me using it as a test zone and now issues real speeding citations, so I won't be trying that anytime again.

You have to also keep in mind that the reflective nature of these products will increase your laser vulnerability.
    The difference is the spray relies on analog cameras that FLASH a picture, digital cameras will have a video feed of a couple seconds before and after to catch offenders using this method. The plate cover distorts visibility from angles and is highly noticeable, but it does work.

Good Citizen

Try the loovers, they seem to obstruct the view at very small angles which from looking at the pictures and advertisement that it could block the digital video. Try Loovers.com

Power User

I remembered getting one from NY. It showed the whole picture of the vehicle and had a zoom in picture of my plate numbers which was blurry but still readable. I guess, they may have a software that will enhance the picture for better ID. The only defense that I know is to get a RLC based unit such as the cheetah C100, cheetah mirror or the 9500ix.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by KnightHawk View Post
    I remembered getting one from NY. It showed the whole picture of the vehicle and had a zoom in picture of my plate numbers which was blurry but still readable. I guess, they may have a software that will enhance the picture for better ID. The only defense that I know is to get a RLC based unit such as the cheetah C100, cheetah mirror or the 9500ix.
    I just bought the toll-free scratch that he I just bought the on track toll-free plate shield which has a narrower angle of view it says fifteen degrees but I'd say it's a little more. It's their newest shield and does have a narrower angle than the other ones in their group. I'm also going to veil it.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by rodfantana View Post
    Hi,

Got a red light camera ticket with using photoshield, on both plates. The camera only took the back picture. On the photo, the plates last letter is blurred and unreadable. Yet I guess they still were able to identify the car by a partial plate match and tied it to the make/model.

1. Depending on your state, you have to be served with the notice, otherwise just discard any mailings. But if a server shows up and hands it to you, then the game is on.
    2. It's up to the prosecution to provide proof that it was you.
    3. Anything that is presented without the human witness to the alleged incident, you object as it is hearsay. You have a right to question your accuser (the accuser is not the prosecutor).
    4. A Redflex, or other corporation employee, not an officer may be there and talk about how the camera is God.
    5. Many judges in these situations may not care about things like rights, and just toss in a guilty verdict.
    6. Figure $7-12k for a competent attorney to take your case, argue it, then appeal it up before the case gets tossed.

Does the above work? meh...it can, and has. But it takes some brave (and rich) guinea pigs to take on the system first. Here in AZ, the local prosecutor announced they are giving up on prosecuting felony cases for speed cameras based upon the "right to question one's accuser" clause and that they got a number of cases tossed out already.

For most of us, we got lives to live and jobs, so we'll probably pay the fine and take the class.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by rodfantana View Post
    Hi,

time to debadge your car.