Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Welder's mask....?

I was walking through Northern Tools today and as I walked past the welder's masks a thought occurred to me....

Why not cover the rear plate with the see through glass from a welder's mask and mount the mask flash sensor above or below it. When the camera goes off the mask circuitry instantly turns the glass opaque and the camera gets nothing.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Welder's mask....?

Thinking out of the box, let us know how it works please.

Yoda of Radar

Hmmm... I haven't heard of this newfangled kind of mask. Nice. But as with every other photo countermeasure scheme here, it would only stand a chance for flash photography, which seems to be only a percentage of the enforcement photography out there.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Hmmm... I haven't heard of this newfangled kind of mask. Nice.
    They've actually been out for years. Even blocks IR because IR from welding equipment can damage the eyes. Its extremely fast in order to protect the eyes.

I think it would absolutely work --- it turns the glass black so fast you can't even see a quick flash with the good masks (I've used one before). Only thing which comes into question is testing it against a test camera from a distance and an angle to see if its enough in daylight to trigger the circuit. Also, would have to find a mask with glass wide enough... or maybe two side by side.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fire65 View Post
    Thinking out of the box, let us know how it works please.
    Not sure its really worth in my area any longer. The state has mandated increasing the yellow light times due to abuse of photo systems by some jurisdictions. That, along with trapster, seem to make it a moot point if you pay attention to the trapster warnings but it could come in very handy none-the-less. I wonder if it could be adapted to block LIDA hitting a tag (don't know if it absorbs or reflects IR when triggered).

Radar Fanatic

I have a mask like you are talking about, it works in miliseconds. Whether it blocks cameras I have no idea, since there are none where I drive.

Newcomer

Grab one of those masks put it on your head now look up at the lights in the store. It'll black out. Now imagine what the LEO thinks when he pulls in behind you to run a warrant check on your plate and his headlights make the lens black out.

Banned

That's why I think it has possibilities but it would need to be calibrated and a lot of research for application on plates. Also, it would have to have a trigger time of under 1 second, just long enough to block a camera.

Yoda of Radar

Wow... that's uber sensitive. Seems like you couldn't even use that thing in the daytime without it staying on constantly.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Banned

Just checked, depending on the quality of the unit, the reaction time is 3-10 milliseconds. You can purchase the glass and sensor for about $50 without a helmet. Would need to replace the sensor with a precise optic sensor connected to a microcontroller so it could be intelligently controlled (perhaps for sudden changes in light with the "high water mark" having to be over a specific brightness).

Then figure out the approximate exposure time of the cameras and trigger the glass for only that long. I'd imagine that the off reaction time is similar to the on reaction time. Since they are designed to capture fast moving plates without blur I'd imagine the exposure time is very low, maybe even low enough (1/20th of a second) that you'd have to have extremely fast eyes to catch it.

Just thinking out loud... it has me intrigued.