Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Radar

Old Timer

Default Photo Radar

How does photoradar work? I know it takes a pic of your license plate, but does it use radar? laseR? can we pick it up before its to late?

Experienced

They use radar, at least in the US, while in Europe some are using laser nowadays, such as the Leica XV2. And you can´t jam it because it´s on a different frequency. But the V1 does pick up the signal.
    A normal photo radar is pisitioned at a 22° angle across the road so you have to be very close for it to get your speed but it also means that you´ll probably get the signal a lot later than with a radar gun (weak beam). Usually works on K- and Ka-bands, some mini Gatsos here also work on Ku band.

Speed Demon

I don't think photo radar is really used in the US that much Sethy probably way less than POP radar.

V1 Zombie

Sethy over here we have vans that rock around and set up in any location. they always run at 34.6 ghz aimed 22.5 d across the road.deadly dude only a very few rds can get them in time.i herd that the 34.6 ghz is really hard for rds to detect something to do with x band? however my 990i had trouble with them the rx65 was alot better but the one i have now kicks butt big time! if you get that kind of photo radar in the states i wish you all the luck. We also have fixed mouted on a white pole with pads in road they suck too gps is good for them or a gun

Lead Foot

For 34.6 Ghz, the Bel 975 is very well suited with the Ka Narrow function. Any detector with only Ka , or Ka wide will suck on 34.6 photoradar.

Photoradar is used a lot in Europe. Check my site, we have thousends of pictures of photoradar setups.

The radar is sent in a narrow beam across the road at a 20, 22 degree angle. The car drives through this beam, radar calculates the speed and the camera makes the photo. It is able to get flashed driving towards the radarbeam and from behind. Look at the pictures and you will get a generally good idea.

In Germany, they HAVE to take the picture from the front, because they have to prove who was driving (driving license points). In Holland on the highway only from behind and on local roads the radar is set for both ways. In Holland we have license plate liability.

V1 Zombie

they get us front and back here in NZ no points YET

Administrator

Default Photo Radar

Photo radar is used ALLOT in Arizona

Scottsdale, Phoenix, Paradise Valley, Tempe, Mesa to name a few all use it.
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Radar Fanatic

Roy-
    how much warning can one expect with the RX65 on the photo radar setups they use there?

Lead Foot

I can only speak for the Dutch situation; on K band 1 to 500 meters and Ka 34.6 Ghz 100 to 300 meters. Based on that the radarbeam is pointed forward, not towards you.

A lot depends on the setup of the site. A radarbeam that shoots over the road in the nothing will have a lesser distance than a radarbeam that can reflect on metal, houses, tree's.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Flitsservice.nl
    I can only speak for the Dutch situation; on K band 1 to 500 meters and Ka 34.6 Ghz 100 to 300 meters. Based on that the radarbeam is pointed forward, not towards you.

A lot depends on the setup of the site. A radarbeam that shoots over the road in the nothing will have a lesser distance than a radarbeam that can reflect on metal, houses, tree's.
    Sounds to me like we should start finding excuses to erect big metal signs in the path of the radar beam. "We need a speed limit sign right here."