Newcomer

It seems the people are waking up to this unfair form of taxation. I am posting link in the following post...I need another post to qualify for posting links. Waiting on moderator approval... Anyway these things are popping up all over my town within the last year. It keeps me busy updating Trapster.

Florida: More Lawsuits Seek to End Red Light Cameras
    Last edited by Stealth Stalker; 05-27-2010 at 10:01 PM.

Power User

Default Re: Red light camera lawsuits

Quote Originally Posted by mrkrausman View Post
    It seems the people are waking up to this unfair form of taxation. I am posting link in the following post...I need another post to qualify for posting links.

I saw on the news here in LA a red light ticket cost $450.00. That is insane. Rear end collisions I heard have increased due to people slamming on the brakes on the yellow to avoid a ticket. This is a good example that safety is not the motive, but collecting Revenue is.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    This is a good example that safety is not the motive, but collecting Revenue is.
    You said a mouth full.

And of course they deny it.

Experienced

I saw on the news here in LA a red light ticket cost $450.00. That is insane. Rear end collisions I heard have increased due to people slamming on the brakes on the yellow to avoid a ticket. This is a good example that safety is not the motive, but collecting Revenue is.
    Just today I was listening on the radio about the idea of Calif taking the Red Light Camera's and integrating Speed Cams on the same system.
    2 for 1 deal - looking into how to do it and the software
    So instead of just RLC, it will become RLC & Speed Cam into 1
    From what I gathered (late in the program), it was talk but there are some considerations.

My son got bit on a newly installed RLC recently - it cost me closer to 500.

Exclamation Re: Red light camera lawsuits

Quote Originally Posted by 2Bolt View Post
    Just today I was listening on the radio about the idea of Calif taking the Red Light Camera's and integrating Speed Cams on the same system.
    2 for 1 deal - looking into how to do it and the software
    So instead of just RLC, it will become RLC & Speed Cam into 1
    From what I gathered (late in the program), it was talk but there are some considerations.

My son got bit on a newly installed RLC recently - it cost me closer to 500.
    No kidding. Here is a link to an article regarding these latest antics by the California Governator:

Smile for the Camera Speeders | NBC San Diego

Experienced

And another opinion I heard on the radio (I replied the same on another section)

"I listened to a local radio talk show about this the other day.
    The county sheriff, who works along with CHP, was against it if Calif. deems it a revenue generator. I was not expecting to hear that as well as others. Although I only caught part of the show, some of the points he stated:

---Being a revenue generator is the wrong reason (already stated that)

---The dollars they think they can make is usually way over expected - way over.

---They see what is going on at certain locations, or think they do, then calculate the expected generated money - but fail to acknowledge that a percentage become conditioned and change their driving conditions = less revenue due to miscalculations.

---Inadequate planning to activate at certain locations = more accidents - some locations.

---Safety should be the priority and not generated revenue.

---Other locations (probably other state) that have done this way overshot expected revenue - some from folks who simply just don't pay their tickets, now what will be done about that.

---In this day and age, can the state really afford to put up the money to launch such program? and then what are they going to do when they see the revenue is way below expected, what about wrong location where safety get out of control, and what kinds of bugs are expected in the hardware and software that are going to cost X-amount of dollars to deal with it.

I'm sure there was more to it than that, but like I say, a bit shocked at his opinion. He tried to focus that safety is his concern, he didn't break state funds, and funds, or lack of is not his problem

Radar Fanatic

Schwarzenegger is a douchebag. I've never seen a guy go from cool to tool as fast as him.

All enforcement cameras are about revenue, period. They will most assuredly work the "for the children" argument into the speed cam debate to try and get it passed.

Thumbs up One for the good guys.....

I can share one great experience on this subject recently.

I had the good fortune of being in the courtoom audience to see a judge throw out EVERY Santa Ana red light ticket to the extreme of declaring Not Guilty rather than dismiss so to prevent the Prosecuting Attorney from refileing.

According to the law, the city is supposed to make public announcement for every red light camera location. The city only did announcement at their initial location of Harbor and McFadden with the comment the yellow would have 4 seconds. The decided that one announcement covered every other location. It was also pointed out that every other location the yellow was less than 4 (3.4 in most cases) seconds. More over, lights prior and following the controlled intersection had 4 second yellow, creating a bait and switch situation trapping. At 40 mps, that .6 seconds makes a difference of over a car length.

Thumbs up to that judge.