Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default This is what they do in Holland against "photoradar\&q

In Holland we are getting fixed point to point speed measurement systems. You drive through point 1, they take a picture of your car. 3 km further you drive through point 2. Because they know the time and distance, they know your speed.

This stuff needs some computer hardware to run. This is what somebody did to it:

http://images.flitsservice.nl/cm_php...po.php?id=2035

This is how a p2p system looks like:

http://images.flitsservice.nl/cm_php...po.php?id=1801

Speed Demon

Ha Ha Ha, power to the people.

Radar Fanatic

Looks like that system's pretty obvious, at least. No trouble knowing you're being clocked. I don't think that system would work where I live because that stretch of roadway would be too badly clogged with paranoid people doing 10 under in all three lanes because "they're being watched." Then again, we already have EZ-PASS/FastLane...

Lead Foot

Same here, but what if you have these systems all over te place?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Flitsservice.nl
    Same here, but what if you have these systems all over te place?
    The ideal world: drivers get angry, threaten not to re-elect polititicians, politicians do what they used to do, photo system goes away.

The more realistic version: systems go up without the signage, motorists speed blindly through without incident, system makes more money than any police department ever could because every single driver pays a $100+ toll, drivers get angry, drivers threaten not to re-elect politicians, politicians get major campaign contributions from the companies that buid the devices, get re-elected anyway, and the battle between money and common sense continues.

Lead Foot

Well it is not America here with campaing contributions. We have tickets that start from 0 to 10 km/u to fast: 30 euro (35 dollar?). About 65% of the 7,5 million speeding tickets a year are for that category.

Radar Fanatic

Oh, I know. I wouldn't even begin to claim that what happens here happens everywhere. I was speaking purely from my own point of view.

Experienced

Well, that´s what I dislike about the EU. It´s turning into a police state and they´re raising traffic penalties in hopes of greater revenues. Of course they always wrap it nicely into statements about how speed is dangerous and how traffic enforcement saves lives, yadda-yadda... The fact is that the only way to cut fatalities id to have educated and well-trained drivers. Drivers that can approximate by themselves what the safe speed is through a certain section and who actually KNOW how to drive...

Radar Fanatic

Default uk

this is what they are doing in the uk........

speed traps everywhere and to make things even worse they are dropping the speed limits!!

although a road near me they dropped the speedlimit from 50mph to 30mph and its been like that for years!!

and there has only been accidents on this road since they dropped the limit! they also made one side of the carrageway from 2 to 3 lanes but they are narrow!!!

they have now put the gatso cameras on this road 4 of them.

but they have also raised the speed limit to 40mph!!

but the years they had the 30mph limit they had mobile traps on it!

they also had a mini gatso on it!!!

so they are saying speed kills, and its dangerous to do 40mph! hense loads of people caught!!

but now its ok to do 40mph!! :shock: and according to them this 40mph limit wont kill people!! :shock:

ive said it all along they put what limit they want up!

and it seems like its ok to do what ever limit they say!!

they drop the limit catch people doing 40 and now they up the limit to 40!!

its all about money....... 0 to do with safety!!!

Experienced

Oh well, I guess we´ll just have to employ some kickass countermeasures. An EMP comes to mind...