Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey, Arizonans!

Professional

Default Hey, Arizonans!

The photo enforcement cameras on the Loop 101 in Scottsdale are up and running, and giving out "warnings" until Feb. 21. If anyone gets flashed, let me know if you really do get just a warning in the mail--though I suspect there's a cop sitting right behind the cameras watching for the flash so he can "warn" the horrible speeders with a ticket.

Supposedly these are non-radar installations, so don't count on your detector to alert you to them. I plan to drive up that way within the next couple of weeks and see what's there.

Speed Demon

Sensors in the roadbed trigger the cameras and they expect to write 1000 tickets a day. Time to invest in a GPS .

Lead Foot

I live in Milwaukee Wisconsin and I just saw this system on our local news program. They are estimating revenue of 5 million per month!! Unbelieveable. Anyways, if these work as well as they are planning i'm sure they will go up other places. Will the VF photo jammer protect you from these camera's? I would hope so!

Professional

Yes, it would, as would the Protector and Super Protector (which are both illegal in Arizona, and I've seen the tickets to prove it). Thing is, I don't think it's worth it, as the cameras are in one very specific, very limited area of the 101 right now, and as long as you know to go 75 or below between, say, 90th Street and Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd. (may not be the exact streets--I know they're all located up around the big northeastern bend the highway takes), you're fine.

Cheetah Rep

well I took one for the team and blew through their on the way to Roy's.

I took some video but i'm not sure if I got the flash on camera.
    I have the SuperProtector so we'll see if it worked.

Roy says he'll try the VF when he gets back.

Power User

RaceX,

Kicka$$! Can't wait to see the video. Let us know what happens.

Cheetah Rep

yeah, i'll keep everyone updated either way.
    when I get back i'll put some video together.

they do appear to work off strips since I got no laser or radar alerts.
    they are pretty obvious though.

Nice RacerX... I am looking forward to seeing the video.

They do work off of piezo sensor strips. I found this link: http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/photoradar/faq.asp

I was wondering, instead of defeating the camera or flash, is there any known method of defeating the strips (aside from slowing down... duh)?

I live at approx. 101 & Frank Lloyd Wright and drive through these things a few times every day... since they have been put in they add approx. 10 mins each way on my trips to Tempe... very frustrating when people slow down to 60 or even 55 through these, even though the speed limit is 65 and the ticket threshold is 76. There will no doubt be accidents caused by people slamming on brakes for the cameras.

Pardon me being new,
    -Rmc[AZ]

Professional

The way it's configured, I doubt if you could beat the strips, however you might be able to beat them in court by raising questions about their reliability. How did they measure your wheelbase to know the speed you were going? How can you be sure they didn't register the back tires of the car in front of you as your front tires? How do you know they targeted the right car?

Lots of questions, and I'm sure Redflex has an answer for all of them.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Rmc[AZ
    ]

I was wondering, instead of defeating the camera or flash, is there any known method of defeating the strips (aside from slowing down... duh)?
    Pardon me being new,
    -Rmc[AZ]
    Does it sense the "beginning" of the car or the tires? In either case you could have a "frame" poking maybe a metre ahead of the car, after passing strip 1 you'd raise it before hitting the next one as you are slowing down.