Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Re: Redflex GoSafe AGD340 radar reception and range

Quote Originally Posted by Laser-InterceptorUSA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eire05 View Post
    Sorry to be pedantic, but we are not in the UK, we are from the Republic of Ireland and have not been apart of the UK for decades..(not to be confused with Northern Ireland which is still part of the UK)
    Dam! I keep forgetting that! Sorry!

Cliff
    It's OK mate I just had to set the record straight ...on a side note I met somebody from Germany (who should know better) that thought we were in the UK also..

Don't worry we're hard skinned us Irish
    Last edited by eire05; 02-03-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Radar Fanatic

@ eire05..

I definitely reckon if the power cable was plugged in from the top, it would make hard-wiring the V1 a lot easier but I reckon they rigged that vertical mount with the (easier to use) cigarette lighter power cord in mind. Pity cos it would definitely help to stealth the install a little and to use a wider tint strip like we already use.

I also wonder if the laser detecting lens of the V1 which is now on top would be affected by this if I were to try to mount mine like Mike has as it would be obscuring its view of the road ahead. I can understand why he had to mount it in the centre of the windscreen also as the curvature of the ends of the windscreen would have it looking to one side with that bracket.

I can counteract this in my horizontal mount (top right of windscreen) by having it very slightly off level. The right suction cup is a bit lower than the left one so it points straight ahead.

@LI USA, no worries mate, no offence taken lol.

Quote Originally Posted by corkguykev View Post

@LI USA, no worries mate, no offence taken lol.
    Thanks Kev!

Radar Fanatic

Well, I finally came across one of these damn things tonight and these are the videos...

Video 1. First pass and the V1 may have saved me had I been speeding but not the guy that overtook me just as I passed by the van though...

I did not see that flash when I was there so it must have been infa-red. Fortunately, my dash cam seems to have an infa-red capability and now we know where you are fooked when you pass one of these things also .

I doubt they are giving much leeway with these things as I was after slowing down to 90KMH (PSL 100KMH) when he passed me and he wasn't exactly flying by me either .

The V1 was in its regular mounting position on that clip BTW BTW ^

Video 2.

I was holding the V1 in a vertical mount with my hand as I do not have a vertical mount bracket yet, but that may change as the initial K band blip was ages down the road (albeit from a higher point on the road) but even when she picked it up again, the detection range was much better than the first run...

I could not believe how much a difference it made to mount the V1 vertically .

Edit: My V1 was on Euro mode with K on, Ka on and POP on during these clips. I would have done a few more runs to see if it made any difference in A mode or with POP off but the radar was turned off in the van during the third run so I didn't bother adding that clip and he left soon after.
    Last edited by corkguykev; 02-09-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Add info

Experienced

Excellent Vids Kev.
    hopefully you'll you get a few more encounters on camera soon

Radar Fanatic

After reviewing the video from the return trips I made to get another run at the van, I have seen that there was a cut out in the hedgerow with bollards and it was directly across the road from him so he was probably doing all 4 lanes and the flash that went of may have been for someone else and a car did pass by on the other side just before we reached the van so its possible it was that one that got flashed.

Dangerous feckers and the V1 would not save you from that so be warned .

Good Citizen

From what I've seen so far V1 gives just enough warning when gosafe's radar pointing toward the cars, but no warning when pointing away from cars

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by corkguykev View Post
    After reviewing the video from the return trips I made to get another run at the van, I have seen that there was a cut out in the hedgerow with bollards and it was directly across the road from him so he was probably doing all 4 lanes and the flash that went of may have been for someone else and a car did pass by on the other side just before we reached the van so its possible it was that one that got flashed.

Dangerous feckers and the V1 would not save you from that so be warned .
    Great clips CGK...What time were they out at? looks like a vertical setup is your only man for this beast...good to know it picks the IR flash...I wonder will it pickit up during the day???

The guy in the first clip was definitely busted!...Lucky days for you go blow 80 euro in the pub at the weekend!

CorkguyKev = 80 - Gosafe = Some other blokes 80!
    Last edited by eire05; 02-10-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Experienced

I had an encounter with a Gosafe Survey van today.
    From looking at the back window, there was a radar unit but no camera.
    i'm having trouble uploading the vid's to youtube. But my results are very interesting, and possibly contradict how we think that we should be mounting our RD's

Experienced

Here we go.
    This a Survey unit, no camera visable, just a radar antenna in the rear window.
    not recorded are a few runs in A mode and with and without ka switched on, and with and without pop.
    These all resulted in poor range.
    The best range comes from Euro mode, K, Ka, Pop

I appeared to get significantly better range in Horizontal than with Vertical setup.
    I'm wondering was this due to the concrete wall on the opposite side of the road, causing the radar to bounce, and when the V1 is vertical its off axis detection is massively reduced.

Anyway guys.. have a look at these and tell me what your thoughts are.