Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tag Spray Fails

Experienced

Default Tag Spray Fails

Our town recently introduced red light cameras. We are in a "notification" period where the city is sending notices that the cameras exist and will be fining violators after April X.

Anyway, I thought I would take the opportunity to test the Photoblocker product. I sprayed my tag as directed and initiated a rolling red light right hand turn. In other words, I did not come to a full stop at the marked line in the road and just proceeded to execute the turn while the light was red. Of course, I made sure there was no oncoming traffic.

Sure enough I got the warning. Tag numbers were easily readable. The Photoblocker product is a waste of money.

Going to get the blurred tag covers. NOT because I am a habitual red light runner ( I never run straight away red lights, but I am guilty of not coming to complete stops at right hand turns with a red light. I also don't make full stops at stop signs if there are no other cars in the intersection.....

Power User

Default Re: Tag Spray Fails

Last edited by v1user; 09-20-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Always nice to see a report on these kind of products! Thanks!

Radar Fanatic

A simple search would show that none of this stuff works. Did you really think spraying something on it would work? I have some stuff to sell you.

Quote Originally Posted by fire65 View Post
    A simple search would show that none of this stuff works. Did you really think spraying something on it would work? I have some stuff to sell you.
    Well Afineride, for sharing your information at least you won't be ridiculed. Definitely never try anything on your own ever, ever again!!! And if you do, don't share it!!!

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jmichalakjr View Post
    Well Afineride, for sharing your information at least you won't be ridiculed. Definitely never try anything on your own ever, ever again!!! And if you do, don't share it!!!
    It is not ridicule, it is common sense. He has 192 post but does no research on a product that has been discussed many times in here. He can do anything he wants on his own. Just don't complain to much if you didn't take 5 minutes to do a search.

Good Citizen

Good information. You are a real guy who did a test in the real world with no allegiances. And you got a picture ready for framing. Always curious if things work and under what conditions. Funny that some states the stop sign or red light is a money maker. Other states you can roll through them which helps the gas mileage in big SUVs. In Detroit at night, you don’t have to stop at lights or signs, you just go as moving targets are harder to hit.

Power User

Last edited by v1user; 09-20-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Experienced

Well actually, I researched it extensively both here and at other sites. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to find 100% agreement on the effectiveness of any product. In other words, in almost all cases, there will always be folks that swear by it and and equal number that swear it's BS. So, I just thought I'd see for myself.

Second, I wasn't complaining. I was attempting to share information with a group of guys who share similar interests.

As an aside, I was thinking about what might have impacted the failure. This vehicle has a plastic tag cover that has been treated with Veil. I suppose it's possible that the Veil coating counter acted the photo reflectivity of the Photoblocker spray.

Since we are still in the "warning' period in this city, I am going to have my wife (whose tag has Photoblocker but no Veil), run that same light (right turn on red) .

Let you know what the result is.

Quote Originally Posted by jmichalakjr View Post
    It is not ridicule, it is common sense. He has 192 post but does no research on a product that has been discussed many times in here. He can do anything he wants on his own. Just don't complain to much if you didn't take 5 minutes to do a search.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by v1user View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AFineRide View Post
    Our town recently introduced red light cameras. We are in a "notification" period where the city is sending notices that the cameras exist and will be fining violators after April X.

Anyway, I thought I would take the opportunity to test the Photoblocker product. I sprayed my tag as directed and initiated a rolling red light right hand turn. In other words, I did not come to a full stop at the marked line in the road and just proceeded to execute the turn while the light was red. Of course, I made sure there was no oncoming traffic.

Sure enough I got the warning. Tag numbers were easily readable. The Photoblocker product is a waste of money.

Going to get the blurred tag covers. NOT because I am a habitual red light runner ( I never run straight away red lights, but I am guilty of not coming to complete stops at right hand turns with a red light. I also don't make full stops at stop signs if there are no other cars in the intersection.....
    What a Bull shyte money grab!!
    This is kind of funny because a news channel in Denver did a test on this stuff as a defense to the photo vans they have been parking around town and found out it actually worked. I think it was one of the only products that worked. They tested it a bunch of different ways and found out it didn't work on overhead speed/red light cameras, but it worked perfectly for the van cameras because of the height of the flash bulbs and camera lens. When shot from an overhead camera the plate was 100% readable, but from the van it was so overexposed that you couldn't make out even the state. Pretty neat, but worthless in 99.9% of occasions unless you live in Denver and don't have an RD that alerts to the vans.