Newcomer

Default Licence plate cover

Hi
    For some time now I live in Toronto, and I noticed that about 3% of the vehicles here use some kinds of (brown/blue/crystal)transparent licence plate cover.
    does any of you guys knows why?
    Thanks

Professional

Default Re: Licence plate cover

People use license plate covers for a variety of reasons, most of which are not legal. I often hear people say "oh, it keeps the plate clean and undamaged" or "it makes the plate blend in with the color of the car more" and other excuses like that, but in reality the license plate covers become more of a nuisance than anything.

Some plate covers act like a mirror for light - if you have headlights shining on them or a flash (such as from a photo radar camera) hit the plate cover, it may reflect the light back and all you see is a blur of light - not the letters/numbers of the license plate. Some plate covers are tinted, either black/gray or different colors, and there's absolutely no legal, justifiable reason for that one. Plate covers do not take much to become dirty, which then hinders the ability to read the plate. Last (among many other things) the plate covers make it more difficult to read the plate from a distance. All of these are (illegal) reasons that people use license plate covers.

A lot of officers don't care about plate covers or are too busy to stop people for them...but in almost every jurisdiction they are basically illegal. In Pennsylvania, getting caught with a license plate cover (which hinders the ability to be able to easily read the plate from a distance) will set you back $110. If the officer proves that you are using it to evade police, such as to block a license plate reader system or a red light camera system, then it's a violation of a whole different law which would set you back around $200-$250.

Newcomer

Default Re: Licence plate cover

Thanks for the reply
    That's what I suspected .. but I did not dare to write, in order not to offend anyone.
    12 years ago already checked all covers plates were then on the market, against Moltnovh 6F I had access via friend ( traffic policeman), no one including all currently available is not effective at all...